Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ engine rebuilders?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1BadK-30, Jun 22, 2006.

1. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Anybody know of some by the phoenix area thats good? Iv got about 400K on the 350 and it could use some freshing up. Any help is very appreciated.

2. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I used these guys before. They are in Glendale.

http://www.fivestarengines.com/engines.htm

I got the motor as a carry out and installed it myself. And within the warranty period, a land broke off a piston. I dropped it off, and they honored their warranty with no problems. I was worried the they might blame the problem on improper installation, or try to get out of it somehow, but they were pretty stand up guys about it.
    So I think their work is good, although I DID have a problem with their engine, but I KNOW they do stand behind their work. :thumb:

3. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Would you know by any chance how much it cost? im not seing it on there website or i could just be over looking it :doah:

4. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

I think I had about a grand in it all together. This was back in 2000 when I got it, and I bought oil, hoses, plugs, etc seperately. I priced them recently for a motor for my 1 ton crewcab, and it was about $1300. Their basic 350 starts around 800 with rebuildable exchange.

5. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

you can get a gm crate motor for about the same price. I know they were running a special at the chevy dealership just east of 1-17 on bell rd. You get a warranty that is awesome. I bought a med. duty 350 and broke the crankshaft and spun two main bearings. The dealership replaced the motor and installed it all for free.

6. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

looks like i got some saving to do :D

7. btolenti

btolenti 1/2 ton status

8. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

I purchased a crate motor like Juan's from Brown and Brown Chevrolet for around $1500 or less with a GM warranty.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used a GM crate in my K5. First time was there stock replacment "targetmaster". It has a 3yr/36K warranty. At 12K miles it lots the rings in #5 & 7 cylinders. They replaced the motor for free under warranty. The motor was upgraded when reinstalled to a 300hp crate motor and I has 50K on it now with no problems. It runs strong, doesn't burn much oil, and holds good oil pressure at all angles.

My first motor was installed by a professional mechanic though so they didn't fight about the warranty. If you do it yourself they may try and fight it.

Harley

10. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

Id get a shop to do the instalation, id ask my father to do it again for the truck but in the last 12 years hes not so up to par anymore.

11. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'll support that GM crate suggestion. I've got Juan's old motor in my K5 now, and I went through it before installation to add a hotter cam and my SR Torquer heads (reworked by Gruelick, VERY good!). I really just needed the short block after my son put a rod through my old block, so I bought that engine from Juan to help him out. Anyway, the stock long block ran really well in Juan's truck as it was. Much better than your typical 350 for the era. When I got into it, I found several things I wasn't expecting including 4 bolt main (ok, that was no surprise being an MD), powdered rods, forged crank, and indications of internal balancing. I'm running a roller cam, and this block came with provisions for the bolt in lifter spider (found used) and front retaining plate. So I went to GM for the front plate and got a standard plate, but it doesn't fit. Went back with a measurement and found out I needed one for a ZZ3/ZZ4 HiPo engine.(?)

What does that all mean? No idea. Their books show that cam plate specific to only the ZZ3/4 but maybe it’s just the block they had lying around that day? <shrug> I’ve been meaning to check the heads that came on it to see what they are, just never think of it when I have the chance. But anyway, if that's what they sell for a $1300 factory crate long block then it's a screaming deal. I will say one thing, that thing as it sits in my K5 is a beast and runs smooth as silk...