Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ guys, best place to buy gears and lockers?

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by blazenwhip, Nov 27, 2006.

1. blazenwhip

blazenwhip 1/2 ton status

Hey fellas. Where is the best place/deal to buy gears and lockers? I have a 14ff and d44. I'm wanting 4.56 gears. Detroit for the rear not sure about the front. For now I'll be running 35s eventually 37s at the max.

AND is there someone that can teach me and install them with me? Or will I need to fork over the big bucks for the labor at a shop? Will you work for beer, food?

Thanks for any info and/or help
    Dustin

2. NateInChandler

NateInChandler 1/2 ton status

Dustin, I get a pretty good discount at 4 wheelers supply and desert rat and can help/teach you how to set these things up the right way... let me know. 480-209-2949.. nate

3. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

4. blazenwhip

I dunno Nate it looks as though you have challenger.

5. NateInChandler

errrrr, never used them but if you wanna wait for shipping and get a unknown brand set of gears lets do it.. haha.. nate

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

My Yukons got quieter after the long drive to and from Parker . Break in is over :bow:

7. blaza

blaza 1/2 ton status

I hope I dont open a can of worms here.. But the brand of gears doesnt much matter for 99% of us. As long as its a brand you have heard of, theyre all good and carry a decent warrenty as long as they were profesionally installed.

8. pauly383

Didn't really matter to me I got mine for waaaaay less than new , the Yukons came from right here off CK5 from a guy who didn't use them , NIB too . The fronts are richmonds from an old axle outta Marvs yard , I am a cheap bastid :thumb:

Open cans of worms ......... we need good tech argume.......I mean discussions here to liven it up :deal:

9. 1977k5

Oh yeah, if you use PORC you should call them (their website kinda sucks). No cheap crap, seriously they are the best (they are a big vendor on pirate). It's not like I have any vested interest in the company, just very impressed with their prices and customer service.

10. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

Tellico sells Superior R&P's for less than PORC wants for Yukons :deal:

11. blazenwhip

Ok so it sounds like as far as quality goes any gear will do.
    Can you all recomend a front locker? I can't remember what was recommended to me in the past.

Thanks for the help fellas

Dustin

12. pauly383

10 bolt or D44 = Lockright . Actual Lockright , not a Quic Loc or EZ Locker . The latter doesn't hold up as well .

13. NateInChandler

blaza, after doing many gear swaps and ratio changes ive found it the ins and outs of gear vendors, im not putting down anyone or any company but i havent had good luck with a few, i do gear changes all the time at work and have never had a problem with yukons or superior.. Genuine gear on the other hand i have had a few problems with, the face of the teeth have little scratch marks in them from the machining process, ive talked this over with 4 different companys and 2 other gear guys (one at desert rat, and one at 4 wheel supply) and they all agree that its a crappy gear... Im not starting a war here over some gears, but i do know what im talking about... as we all know gears have to be broken in right to last a long time and not make noise, but you half to realize that most of your noise your hearing when a gear is inproperly set up is from backlash or preload...... The only set of gears i ever had make a ton of noise were a 8.8 ford with the genuine gears, we warrentied them out twice for the same set and had the same results and amount of noise.. i pulled it apart again and took em back for yukons and the noise was gone (same preload and backlash, pattern was dead on also like before) Dustin can buy whatever gears he wants but im just recommending the ones ive had good results with.. (BTW, for a complete front and rear diff overhaul with gear changes runs about $2100 at 4 wheelers supply), so just keep that in mind... Nate

14. 1977k5

Yeah, run far, far away from Genuine gears. Pretty much everything else is good.

15. blaza

blaza 1/2 ton status

Ill agree with that.. Also agree about the lockright! I expodafied my EZ locker twice before I went to a lockright up front and never looked back. Nate, you have a PM.

16. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Hey- If you guys set up the gears on a weekend I'd like to watch and learn.

Dustin: Still haven't mounted the AT's, I'll get those old tires to ya soon.

17. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

Not sure how set you are on the 4.56's, but a lot of guys on here say even with 35's, to go with 4.88's or 5.13's because of how deep the OD is on the 700.

18. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

What he said. If you are staying with the 700R4 & plan to stay with an OD tranny with 35+" tires then go at least 4.88's. If you plan on 37's with OD then go with 5.13's. I have 4.56's with 700R4, & I have had both 35 & 37" tires. I wish I would have went deeper. In OD I am lacking a little bit that they 5.13's would solve. It would also have helped my crawl ratio.

Harley

19. blazenwhip

Thanks guys. I still need to call N8 on that. I've been so busy since I got back from overseas. Lot's of projects. I need to fix the heater core, it's freakin cold!

20. NateInChandler

whatever sounds good to u dustin, 4.88's would be awesome for torque and your powerband on the highway... either way let me know... nate