Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ HELP WANTED.

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by santana, May 20, 2004.

1. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

Anyone know a reputable carburetor shop around here? My Q-jet is gettin ready to go south and was wanting to get it rebuilt, if not should I go with a new one? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Talk to Paul on where he got his, i believe it was in California, had it shipped, wasn't too awfully bad of a price, but I was amazed as to how the carb ran after installation, i have gone through several local auto parts stores carbs and still couldn't find one that ran right.

Definately call or talk with Paul, as i said it may be alittle higher priced than the auto stores, but IMO, it's well worth it /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Other than "connections" with people who know their shiznit, the best carb I ever ran bar none was an Edelbrock Q-Jet. I've built dozens of my own, using this and that manual/guide/trick and had varying results, though usually acceptable. I've paid "race shops" a pile of $$$ to tune/match a carb to my engine with very disappointing results (I wouldn't let Loper's change oil in my truck any more). And lots of other stories to tell. That Edel Q-Jet dropped right on straight out of the box and really woke up my mild 454 like you wouldn't believe as well as providing better mileage. In fact, it replaced that Loper's carb. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Well worth the rather high cost in my mind. Just one experience and YMMV, but I would run one again without hesitation, and I’m all about saving money…

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

That is basically where Paul bought his from if i recall correctly, some speed shop out in Cali that specializes in reman'd Quadrajunks, i guess they go through the whole thing and totally redo it and make sure it works right before it leaves, unlike those mass produced units for the auto parts stores.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I got mine at I-5 Automotive to replace the CRAPPY one LOPERS sold me. Anyways I called them , told them what my current setup was and they shipped it so close it didn't take much to make it run good. These have removable plugs so you can adjust the APT ( the stops for the main rods ) . I have had mine on for a little over a year now and have not stalled once on a trail. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I-5 Q-Jet page

Looks like there 260.00 now. Not cheap, but good quality in my opinion. I recommend calling them on the phone. If they know your engine, cam, gear etc. They can set it as close as they can /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. pauly383

Russ I agree the Edelbrock ones are great. The prices are what kept me from buying one. I had a hard enough time coughing up the 240.00 I spent on mine. I like the fact that Edelbrock makes new castings for theirs, not using old cores /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. santana

santana 1/2 ton status

We'll the ol' Q-jet took a dump on me so I'm gonna have to go with a sure thing ASAP, Just ordered a Rochester from I5 comp, we'll see what goes on..

Thanks Pauly /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. pauly383

I can help when it shows up, should be close enough out of the box, they come without caps over the mixture screws and I have the right tool to fit those /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif