Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ HELP!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by Greenblazer-AZ, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Hello,

I'm having serious problems with my engine, and no one seems to be able to help. It is producing way too many hydrocarbons, it shakes as if it is out of balance, it has run like crap since I got it, but I found that a big part of the problem was a bad brake booster. That's fixed and I managed to drastically improve the way it was running, but it was "in the red" on the sniffer machine at Econo Lube and Tune at Hayden and Thomas. I had this coupon and thought I'd call and see if they could get it to pass emmissions. They claimed to have someone that could handle my quadrajet carb, but he ended up making my truck run worse and told me he couldn't handle the fact that my truck is not stock. He refered me to Scottsdale Automotive just east of Scottsdale Rd and Thomas, and they tell me that my engine might have a burnt valve, and I gonna have to leave it and lots of money for a long time. Does anyone know a mechanic that can deal with the fact that I have a mish mosh of parts that are supposed to work together, but are not currently. I need someone that has the knowledge, skill, and tools necessary to get this thing to run right. I don't mind paying for repairs, but I don't wan't to be charged a bunch of money for repairs when all I need is some adjustments. Does anyone know a mechanic that can help? Can any of the AZ guys help?

Here's what I've got:

'97 Vortec Long block WITHOUT fuel injection.

Edelbrock intake

Jet Performance Stage 2 Quadrajet

HEI from the old style engine(with new taylor wires)

Fluidamper Harmonic balancer(externally balanced as required by the '97 specs)

Aftermarket adjustable timing pointer(Only one that would fit)

Externally ballanced flywheel

Please HELP!

Later,

Allan Greenblazer

2. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Hey Allan, has anyone done a compression test on it? Sounds like it may have a miss. This would be the next step I would take. If All the cylinders have good compression you can stop worrying about a burned valve. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

We could look at it if you came by Fri night at the meet n greet. Also is the cam stock and the base timing set right? Stock 97 engine would of been dual pattern camshaft with computer controled ignition . Do as Jeff suggested and check compression. If that passes and oil pressure good, and no knocking. then it will be just tuning . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Greenblazer-AZ

I have a previous engagement this weekend, so I'm gonna miss the M&G. I understand the compression test part. That is one of the things that I want a trustworthy and skilled mechanic to do because I don't have the tools. I don't have the experience to have the confidance to do it myself if I had the tools. I'm not confident that I would know that I did it right. I'm pretty mechanical, but I have so far ended up with a crappy running engine that is gonna fail emissions as it is now. I think it's time to get some help. It may not be that big of a deal, but that's why I'm asking here. I can imagine all sorts of possibilities on why it's running like crap, but my tags expire today. I need to solve this problem soon. I'm pretty sure that I can get a temporary tag for thirty days, but that's not much time.

Anybody know someone that can help?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

Later,

Allan Greenblazer /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Greenblazer-AZ

Doesn't anyone know a mechanic that they could refer me to?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

6. bottomfeeder

bottomfeeder 1/2 ton status

Loper's Service Center 602-264-5450 They did some good things with my Galaxie.

Where in Scottsdale are you?

7. bigyellowjimmy

[ QUOTE ]
    Doesn't anyone know a mechanic that they could refer me to?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I just moved here 2.5 yrs ago and I do all my own work.

8. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Allan,

Here's what I think.... but wtf do I know... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm having serious problems with my engine, and no one seems to be able to help.

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds like you may have 2 or three problems stacked on top of each other... Take them one at a time.
    1) Emissions
    2) Engine Balance or Vibration
    3) Performance

In order of importance (and in order to be legal...) you should probably worry about them in that order.

[ QUOTE ]
    It is producing way too many hydrocarbons

[/ QUOTE ]
    So, for 1)... if the thing runs, you outta be able to get it adjusted so that it will go thru emissions. Unfortunately, the only people who can do that for sure will be a shop that has a "gas analyzer". This way they can make adjustments and see the results of their changes. I really can't help you w/ that.... hoping that you can get hooked up w/ someone in the business... anyone?! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    it shakes as if it is out of balance,

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ok.... I'll lay it on the line w/ you here... Remember when you first got the engine, and you had externallly balanced flywheel and damper...?! I raised a <font color="red">RED </font> flag and asked you about these parts... As I remember, Scott called some guy, who called another guy... etc... and they called back and said you have the right parts... I still have my doubts /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif... Does anyone know if the wrong (say externally balanced) balancer/flexplate can physically be instaled on an evenly balanced rotating assembly..?! If so, I think may be what you have.

[ QUOTE ]
    but I found that a big part of the problem was a bad brake booster.

[/ QUOTE ]
    This coulda been a big part of it... Any more vacuum leaks?

Good luck... and sorry I can't help more,

Marv

9. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I'm afraid your completely out of my league there. The only thing I could do is state the obvious. Check vacume, compression, fuel pressure, wires, plugs, and so on...

And Marv may be right about multiple things. But I'll bet emissions and performance problems are related. Vibration, I have no clue about that combination of parts your using, but what Marv said could certainly be the culprit.

10. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I definately agree you're on the right track with the internally/externally balanced flywheel/balancer being the issue. a 97 350 Vortec motor is internally balanced, to the absolute best of my knowledge. I was not aware of ANY latemodel, 1pc rear main seal smallblocks that needed an externally balanced flywheel or dampner. That definately sounds wrong, and is worth looking into further than someone saying they think they know (either way). Try and get a real answer on that one.

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    97 350 Vortec motor is internally balanced, to the absolute best of my knowledge. I was not aware of ANY latemodel, 1pc rear main seal smallblocks that needed an externally balanced flywheel or dampner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sitting here looking all over for any information to the contrary, and have to agree. Only 400 factory engines, or stroker engine combinations, need to be externally balanced. A 1997 Vortec engine in a truck is a 87 and later 350 block with one piece mains , internally balanced. The only item to make it a "vortec" is the cylinder heads.

BTW, the band aid fix that the factory calls a balancer, will not remove every harmonic that these engines produce. Every small block that has never been rebuilt and balanced will produce the "chevy tick".

12. Greenblazer-AZ

Thank's for the info! This is what I was afraid of. I asked more than one person about this before purchasing these parts, and the consensus was externally ballanced. The parts store employee(He knows who he is) /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif that sold me the longblock, the guys at Lopers sold me the flywheel and assured me that it was right, and even the people at Summit Racing sold me the Street Damper assured me that it was the right parts. Now everyone is telling me that they were all wrong. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Assuming that the ballance is internal and I know the flywheel and the harmonic ballancer are for an externally ballanced engine, how much damage is done with the 7800 miles on the engine? Do you guys think that it is most likely to be severely damaged and needing replacement, or is it likely to be ok?

All my thinking has led me to suspect that due to the fact that my carb was tuned to compensate for the vaccume leak from the brake booster that the mechanic may have compensated for that making it too rich without the vaccume leak. This could be my emmissions problem.

The electric fuel pump is also leaking, adding more headache to the list of worries. It's the "Blue" Holley pump and I bought and istalled a rebuild kit for the lower pressure "Red" pump. The guy at Lopers told me that both pumps share the same body, and changing the parts would reduce the fuel pressure and flow. The blue pump was overkill for this application. Can anybody recommend a fuel pump that will work right for my application that may work better? Anybody have experience with this kind of fuel pump good or bad? Maybe it is just that this one belongs to me and it just likes pissing my gas money on the ground /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif , the weird part is that it it doesn't always leak. Maybe because when it's idling the pressure is building up between the regulator and the pump, but driving it relieves enough of the pressure to keep it from leaking.

13. bigyellowjimmy

Sorry to hear this Allan. You do have a small block right? I believe BBC's are externally balanced.

14. Greenblazer-AZ

Yes, it's a small block 5.7L aka Chevy 350.