Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ K5 Run

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BadDog, Jan 13, 2002.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

First, my story.

I took a few days off to get my K30 ready for the ride. Other than being forced to leave the EGR valve plugged off when I couldn't figure out the problem, my K30 was running like a champ. I got the rear springs built, skid under the x-member, checked/changed diff/case oil, etc. I also created a temp mini-flatbed out of particle board so I could strap my cooler, tools, and supplies in the back out of the way. Other than 31" tires and no lift, things were looking good for my K30s maiden voyage.

That was Friday night.

Saturday I found out that I confirmed my "title" on CK5 when it turned into a reenactment of the "Maiden voyage of the TITANIC!" [​IMG]

I met up with the guys about 5:45 a.m. at Denny's as planned. First thing I realized was that I had forgotten my ratchet strap box (setting in my shop) which also had my oil/tranny fluid emergency supply in it. No problem, Doug (AZ Blazer) had extra room so we threw some of my gear in there (thanks!). I was standing outside talking to Doug when I decided to fire it up on the trailer. For the FIRST TIME SINCE I CRANKED IT, it didn't want to crank, and, when it did, it surged up and down from about 400 rpm (barely chugging/running) up to about 800-900 rpm and back again. WTF! Other than the EGR fiasco (fixed, I thought, by pulling the line) this thing has run PERFECT since I first cranked it. It ran fine when we loaded it on Friday night, but not after driving to the far side of Phoenix on Sat. morning.

Everyone was getting ready to leave, not wanting to delay everyone, I was prepared to head home (and poor some gas over it before playing "flip-the-match"). Some quick detective work by Doug determined that it would actually run at a decent (although high) idle if you manually activated the EGR about 1/4". So, everyone waited while he and I pulled the EGR, checked for deposits and then shoved a bolt into it to simulate Doug's finger. Doug, being a professional mechanic and all around experienced rigger, chose a passable "finger simulator" on the first attempt! [​IMG] I bolted it up and voila! It ran at about 600-700 rpm (by ear) fairly stable. So, we are off about 30 minutes late.

@#%^ I wish I had known there was 40 odd miles of hilly, switch-back, wash-board fire rode before you get to the trail head before I decided to trailer my K30 behind my poor ½ ton Ram. The Ram does a fine job of towing and the trailer works well on the road but, the fire road had me worried for the tranny and my trailer jack was not clearanced to deal with the dips, washes, and ditch crossings on the fire road. The tranny is fine (thank god) but the lower extension of my trailer jack is foobar'ed. When we got to the camp (some guys went up on Friday night) I decided to leave the Ram and trailer there to continue in the K30 (even though technically you need a tag on fire roads). That's when we found out that the "trick" didn't work once the engine was hot. It would surge like mad, throwing gravel and going all over the road (very light in the back with no bed and the rear is locked) and then sputter and almost die for a few sections followed by, another session of "hang on to your but!" [​IMG] Relatively fun but not good for starting a trail. I had already delayed the group with the EGR fun at Denny's, and then with my slow progress on the fire road, so I decided to pack it in. A couple of guys (thanks Doug, Fred, and ScoutGuy) insisted on staying to make sure I could get it loaded. Trip home was uneventful if a bit depressing.

Oh, one more thing. When I was rigging something to hold my diesel radiator in place (most of the radiator stuff was missing when I bought the truck and I couldn't find the brackets/shroud before this weekend) I had to pull the front chassis harness (lights and such) out of the way so that the bundle was hanging under the fan. I meant to go back and secure it with zip ties, I forgot. [​IMG] Those wild surges on the fire road sucked it up into the fan and pretty much ate about 2-3' of it in the center. I did manage to get the front harness rewired after returning home. I still don't know what is wrong with the engine, something has the ECM confused causing it to fire the injectors hard in bursts, followed by periods of almost no activity from the injectors. Probably a bad sensor somewhere, and, I'll bet, related to my EGR problems that I never figured out.

Thanks to all of you who put up with my delays and tried to help me get this thing on the trail for the first time (especially AZBlazer, HaulGas and FWP). The problems I encountered were frustrating in the extreme, but, the only think I regret was the delays I caused for the rest of you guys. One thing that did come out of this fiasco, I decided to try and keep my K30 street legal with a tag. That fire road would have been *nothing* if it had not been for my trailered rig. But it was a royal PAIN with the trailer. In the past I've always wheeled my daily drivers (or beaters that were street legal) so this particular problem never occurred to me. I'll still trailer for things like long trips to Moab (my RAM is much more comfy and I'm getting to old to enjoy loud tires and exhaust on the road) but I want to be able to drive it a ways on the road without the trailer.

Oh well, another day, another ride. That is my story. I'll have to wait with the rest of you for the trip report and (hopefully) some pictures. My digital camera didn't get used at all.

Russ

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, 205, D60/C14, 4.56 Locked
    Some day: 4" lift, 44" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Hey russ it was good to meet you. Sucks what happened to the k30. Yea that road did suck. It broke my grille and shook just about everything loose. I never made it to the end because I had to get back early. We had a delay about halfway through. Robs fuel pump came undone in the tank. The tank to be dropped and reinstall it (sorry Rob). I know how breaking before the run feels though (blew the tranny in the burb towing the Jimmy to raw deal).

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Dan &amp; Russ,

Late trip report, got back tonight at 5:00 pm. Thanks to Brian and Doug and a few others we had the tank dropped and repaired in about 2 1/2 hours, trailside. Helped that we had many hands to ovesee the operation. While loweing the tank, we did not even spill a drop of gas. After that, no problems other than I forgot to plug back in the MAP sensor and it ran like shi$ for a few minutes. Thanks too all who helped trailside.

Russ, don't sweat it, I promise you there will be other rides. It has happened to me many times, it's the process to building the perfect ride. Live and learn. If you need some help during the process, let me know, I will be more than happy actually willing to come over and lend a hand. We did miss haing another ColoradoK5 member though. I was talking with Brian on Saturday, and we thought that we should try to coordinate a monthy ride. I agreed to help coordinate with Brian some of the rides as the job allows.

Russ, where do you currenty live? Are you far from Chandler and I-10? If you are not to far, let me know.

I am going to post some of the pictures from the ride this weekend.

Robzilla

4. DesertDueler

Hey Rob, how was the rest of the ride? sorry I had to leave after you got it fixed. I had to get my buddy back to work, and hossbaby needed to get back also and I didnt want him heading out on his own since hes not locked. We need to do monthly runs. That would be fun.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. Haulgas

Haulgas 1/2 ton status

Russ,
    In my first post I said there was 40 miles of dirt road to get to the trail head. That being said It was great meeting you and your kids Sorry the K30 wasn't up to the task but how do you know if you don't take out to play. As for holding us up it was no big deal i'm just glad you came with us.If i can any be any help getting it ready for the next one Please let me know. I'm no Doug but I'll sure give it my best shot.

IT'S NOT JUST A J**P THING AND I DO UNDERSTAND

6. BadDog

Yeah, I've had problems many times before too. I just feel really bad when I slow down a whole group. Before my next attempt at going out with a (relatively) large group, I'm gona try to get a couple of you local guys to go with me on a short run to shake some of the bugs out. That way I won't feel so bad if something goes wrong. I just can't believe that it ran perfect on Fri night and then FIRST THING Sat morning it's running like #%$. [​IMG]

Anyway, I'm at 32nd St and Shea, just off the 51. My son (who was with me) generally works pretty well as an assistant but, I appreciate the offer and I'll keep it in mind. Same goes for you or others in the PHX area, I'm always willing to lend a hand. Hehe, I should have asked for help with removing my bed and camper, messed my back up on that. As my son says, I'm not as young as I used to be (well, actually, he just says I'm old...) [​IMG]

Russ

7. BadDog

Yeah, I guess I said that wrong. It's not that I didn't realize there was 40 miles of dirt road, it's the "40 miles of hilly, switch-back, wash-board fire road". I guess I also expected to off-load the K30 before covering all that ground. I guess the real problem was I didn't think it through. If I had thought about it, and asked some questions, I would have been better off.

Thanks for organizing this and giving me the time to *try* to work through the issues. Other than the damage to the trailer and my wiring harness, I don't regret going. I learned that I *do* want to make it street legal, and I got to meet many of the locals. So, in the end, the balance for me was good...

We'll be doing it again when I get this thing running right.

Russ

8. DesertDueler

Let me know when its ready and we will go wheeling.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Did anyone get pictures of the run? Anyone have any they can post? I got a few but didn't have time to finish the role and get them developed before I left. I will have my parents develop them, but I don't have a scanner to post them.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

10. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Hey Russ, Sorry you didn't get to make the trip, it was a blast. Hope you make it next time. This was my first trip with my K5 and with the guys from this site. My last four wheeler blew up about five years ago so this trip was long overdue. I told some of the guys at the river-side campsite that I got my money's worth out of my K5 and that if it made it back it was a bargain. Well it made it back with a slight pause to fix a leaking trans cooler hose.

I would like to thank everyone involved in making this run possible: Fred who invited me in the first place, and for pulling me to level ground to fix my truck, Brian for his hospitality while waiting to meet up with Rob and Dan Friday night, and for organizing the run, Rob for the trans fluid, and the help with the repair, and last but not least Jaimey, Greg, and Ford Boy(sorry can't remember his name) for the help and patience. I'd also like to thank Damon from Toyboxoffroad.com for the Hi-Lift jack it came in handy getting my rear differential off that rock that I didn't see. This trip was the most fun I've had in a very long time.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

11. FWP

FWP CRS

No big deal, just think of it as another notch in the old 4-wheelin armor[​IMG]. Soon, you'll be out showin us all up with that rig......... If you need a hand, let me know...

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/75K5</a>