Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ rear lighting laws- help me find something...

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by FWP, Mar 16, 2005.

1. FWP

FWP CRS

If it even exists. I've heard rumours of a rear lighting law that requires the rear lighting to be within a certain distance of the rear of the vehicle. I've searched and have come up with only height requirements. If you can find it, point out the section it's in please. The ARS is here, equipment regs are in Chapter 3, Article 16...

ARS Title 28

Thanks!

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Fred , I have a redneck Idea . How about a simple set of magnetic trailer lights , and a make a quick connect so they come off when not on da' street:thinking:

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If your talking about the comment I made, I don't recall seeing it in writing. Thinking back, it may have fallen out of the conversations I had on getting my buggy inspected and titled as a "reconstruct" vehicle. Then again it could have been on the "what we look for" documents they gave me, but I don't have any more. That's all I can offer...

4. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Only thing I know of is license plate light and side marker lights.

Need both to be legal.

Marv

5. FWP

FWP CRS

My lights are already mounted. I was hoping someone has time to look through ARS and see if it is on the books. I sure don't find it, but if it does exist, I want to be able to point to a specific law. Just want to prove or disprove it.

Russ, you're not the only one I've heard this from, one of they guys at work mentioned it. But no-one I know so far can prove it.

6. FWP

FWP CRS

Yup

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Fred,
    I searched every vehicle law on fenders, hoods, mudflaps, and lighting. I did not find any specific info on how far back the lights have to be. I can say this, you only need a marker light if there is a law (given the current position of your lights). Also it is copletely legal to drive a pickup truck with the tailgate down (about 2ft hang out), and most utility trailers have the lights mounted about 18" foward of the rearmost part (usually a gate or ramp). I wouldn't worry about the lights, but the fenders (or lack of) will get you more attention.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

well I am reading it and see that if your title says truck then 28-929 and the ones following would apply .

28-923. Visibility distance; mounted height of lamps

A. If a requirement is provided in this article as to the distance from which certain lamps and devices shall render objects visible or within which the lamps or devices shall be visible, the provisions apply during the times stated in section 28-922 with respect to a vehicle without a load when on a straight, level and unlighted highway under normal atmospheric conditions unless a different time or condition is expressly provided.

B. If a requirement is provided in this article for the mounted height of lamps or devices it means from the center of the lamp or device to the level ground on which the vehicle stands when the vehicle is without a load.

28-925. Tail lamps

A. A motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer and pole trailer and any other vehicle that is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear. When lighted as required by this article, the tail lamp shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, except that in the case of a train of vehicles, only the tail lamp on the rearmost vehicle need actually be seen from the distance specified.

B. A tail lamp on a vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than sixty inches nor less than fifteen inches to be measured as provided in section 28-923, subsection B.

C. Either a tail lamp or a separate lamp shall be constructed and placed in a manner that illuminates with a white light the rear license plate and renders it clearly legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. A tail lamp or tail lamps together with any separate lamp for illuminating the rear license plate shall be wired to provide that the tail lamp or lamps are lighted whenever the head lamps or auxiliary driving lamps are lighted.

28-929. Additional lighting equipment required on certain vehicles

In addition to other equipment required in this article, the following vehicles shall be equipped with the following equipment under the conditions stated in section 28-928:

1. On a bus or truck regardless of size, on the rear, two reflectors, one at each side, and one stoplight.

2. On a bus or truck eighty inches or more in overall width, in addition to the requirements in paragraph 1 of this section:

(a) On the front, two clearance lamps, one at each side.

(b) On the rear, two clearance lamps, one at each side.

(c) On each side, two side marker lamps, one at or near the front and one at or near the rear.

(d) On each side, two reflectors, one at or near the front and one at or near the rear.

3. On a truck tractor:

(b) On the rear, one stoplight.

4. On a trailer or semitrailer with a gross weight of more than three thousand pounds:

(b) On each side, two side marker lamps, one at or near the front and one at or near the rear.

(c) On each side, two reflectors, one at or near the front and one at or near the rear.

(d) On the rear, two clearance lamps, one at each side, and two reflectors, one at each side, and one stoplight.

5. On a pole trailer with a gross weight of more than three thousand pounds:

(a) On each side, one side marker lamp and one clearance lamp that may be in combination, to show to the front, side and rear.

(b) On the rear of the pole trailer or load, two reflectors, one at each side.

6. On a trailer, semitrailer or pole trailer with a gross weight of three thousand pounds or less:

(a) On the rear, two reflectors, one on each side.

(b) One stoplight on a trailer or semitrailer if it is loaded in such a manner or is of such dimensions as to obscure the stoplight on the towing vehicle.

28-932. Reflector and lamp mountings

A. Reflectors that are required by section 28-929 shall be mounted at a height of not less than twenty-four inches and not more than sixty inches above the ground on which the vehicle stands, except that if the highest part of the permanent structure of the vehicle is less than twenty-four inches, the reflector at that point shall be mounted as high as that part of the permanent structure permits.

B. The rear reflectors on a pole trailer may be mounted on each side of the bolster or load.

C. A required red reflector on the rear of a vehicle may be incorporated with the tail lamp, but the reflector shall meet all of the other reflector requirements of this article.

D. Clearance lamps shall be mounted on the permanent structure of the vehicle in a manner that indicates its extreme width and as near the top of the vehicle as practicable. Clearance lamps and side marker lamps may be mounted in combination if illumination is given as required by this section with reference to both.

28-933. Reflector and lamp visibility

A. A reflector on a vehicle referred to in section 28-929 shall be of such size and characteristics and so maintained as to be readily visible at nighttime from all distances within five hundred feet to fifty feet from the vehicle when directly in front of lawful upper beams of head lamps. Reflectors required to be mounted on the sides of the vehicle shall reflect the required color of light to the sides, and reflectors mounted on the rear shall reflect a red color to the rear.

B. Front and rear clearance lamps shall be capable of being seen and distinguished under normal atmospheric conditions at the times lights are required at a distance of five hundred feet from the front and rear, respectively, of the vehicle.

C. Side marker lamps shall be capable of being seen and distinguished under normal atmospheric conditions at the times lights are required at a distance of five hundred feet from the side of the vehicle on which mounted.

And for stop lamps :

28-939. Signal lamps and devices

A. A motor vehicle may be equipped and if required under this article shall be equipped with the following:

1. A stop lamp on the rear that emits a red or yellow light, that is actuated on application of the service or foot brake and that may be incorporated with a tail lamp.

2. One or more lamps or a mechanical signal device that is capable of clearly indicating an intention to turn either to the right or to the left and that is visible both from the front and rear.

B. A stop lamp shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of one hundred feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime. A signal lamp or lamps indicating the intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of one hundred feet both to the front and rear. If a vehicle is equipped with a stop lamp or other signal lamps, the lamp or lamps shall:

1. Be maintained at all times in good working condition.

2. Not project a glaring or dazzling light.

C. A mechanical signal device shall be self-illuminated when in use at the times provided in section 28-922.

9. FWP

FWP CRS

Removable mudflaps are in the works (before I go get an inspection) even though they're not "legally" required on a 2dr SW. (I would rather not get in an argument on the side of the road with a LEO if ya know what I mean :))

That's what I thought, that there is no statute that gives a distance from the rear. I've read thru all of it also- several times, before I purchased and mounted my lights

10. mosesburb

mosesburb For Rent Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I didn't see anything either, but it got me to thinking about tow trucks. For a visual, think 70's style with the diamond plate rear panel at the rear of the truck. They have no tail lights there, they are on top of the bar behind the rear window. Hell, if those are legal, you should be able to put them just about anywhere aft of the seating area.