Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ Smog Laws

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by sjvcon, Jul 21, 2004.

1. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Okay ... now that I have been told that small blocks end up winding too high on heavier rigs ('79 K20 Suburban), I am thinking seriously about a big block swap. Does anyone have a clue where I can find any legal requirements for a swap of this type. Has anyone here run an HT502 or one of the other performance GM Crate Motors (ZZ502 or HO502) through the smog stations with repeated success? I may not go the crate route, but then again I might. I'm also interested in whether anyone has swapped in the newer GM 8.1 with computer and all into an older rig. I understand Advance Adapters has had some requests for this, but they are still not offering a new swap in assembly, so I guess I would be relegated to finding a wreck. On the techincal side, how do the mounting points for the big blocks change ... etc. Help a confused member out if you can .... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif. I'd sure appreciate it.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I swapped from a carb to TPI fuel injection on my K5 and the sniffer people were none the wiser. They only thing they got me on was my vacuum line and charcoal canister routing.

Most of the people in the check stations are to dumb to know what is going on. As long as it has what they are supposed to see and it passes the computer sniffer they don't care.

All my truck needs to pass emissions is cats, charcoal canister that looks hooked up, EGR valve, gas cap that passes the test, and that your gas tank will hold pressure.

When I passed in January my EGR valve was NOT functioning. My charcoal canister was hooked up but only to some other vacuum lines that went to the EGR valve and LOOKED hooked up (but wasn't), they don't know if it is correct or not as long as it looks hooked up they don't know any better. Your gas cap must hold a certain PSI (get a new cap, they are cheap) and your fuel tank must hold pressure. You just must make sure your vapor line runs to the charcoal canister and can be clamped by them so the tank holds pressure.

All it really comes down to is does your motor run clean enough to pass the computer sniffer. If yes then it comes down to fooling a bunch of people who don't know what is what. All they know is too look for certain things they have been trained for which isn't much.

Hell with TPI you can't even see my EGR valve (underneith the plenum) but I still passed the inspection once I learned what they looked for.

Harley

3. Hossbaby50

P.S. Why won't a small block cut it in a K20 Suburban? If you are going to drop a new motor you can get a pretty mean small block that will move a Sub easy. Good gears help too. With the price of gas I would be staying away from a BBC. They make alot of power but a small block can too. It can also get better mileage, and is usually better for the types of offroading you see most here in AZ.

Harley

4. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I have an '80 K5 (all '79 parts and there is a difference) but the smog is the same for both years. I need a cat, EGR, coal can, PCV running into the air cleaner, good gas cap, and the sniffer. None of this stuff realy has to function just has to be there for the check list. If it passes the sniffer (hard to do with a big block) they really don't care.

Some of it depends on what station you go to.

5. Hossbaby50

Go to the station off 51st Ave and Roosevelt. That is who passed my truck. They all seemed to be trained monkey's over there for the most part. They looked for what they are trained for and if the computer says ok then they pass you.

6. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

So no one likes the BBC idea ?? Too hard to pass smog ?? I was going to do a 383, but Paul at North Mountain really advised against it. He said if I just had to have a small block, I should go 406. Frankly, I don't see the difference other than the steam ports on the heads and a larger bore (and maybe an overheat problem ... some say yes some say no). I know the BBC is a hog on gas, but I really don't drive this vehicle much (actually at all right now ... need to build it up first). The only other thing that I thought of was building a longer stroke (using a dart block or something), like a 4.00, but then there are some issues with needing custom pistons to keep the compression down to 9.5 or lower. And even then the HP and torque numbers wouldn't add up to a mild BBC. If I didn't hate the fact that AZ doesn't have a Hobby Act (25yrs and older no test) before, I sure do now that I am ready to get my project going. I'm all for clean air and the environment, but some things that they legislate just don't make good sense. If it can pass a sniffer, it should be good enough.

Any other opinions on this subject ... I like to make well informed decisions, especially when it comes to dropping several grand on an engine...

7. Hossbaby50

If you get a good solid built 383 and have a good tire size to axle ratio you will have no problems with an SBC. To get a BBC to pass emission you will have to have it very mild most likely.

What type of wheeling do you plan to do with the burb?

I run a pretty heavy K5 and I do ok with 35's, 4.56's, and a mild fuel injected 350 SBC.

JaysBeast runs 35's 4.10's and a injected 350 and does ok too.

Gearing is the key for the most part unless you are looking for alot of power for some reason /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I would take a 383 over a BBC personally. I don't really see the point for what I do. If you plan on heavy offroad all a BBC will do most likely is break more parts. BBC's only really have a place offroad in the mud and the sand where HP's rule.

Harley

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Another thing to do is show up at 10 minutes to close on a slow day . I hit the one near me on Greenfield south of Mckellips . As for a BB swap , you generally can use a newer engine (in model years) than yours, as long as all the components are hooked up you will pass if it blows clean . If you really want the big block , make it look right in there . As for small blocks , I know someone with over 200,000 miles on a tired 350 in a heavy Sub with 3/4 ton axles , who can still spin the tires . SO I know a 383 ( favorite future motor ) will pull with authority , and mileage better than a big block /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. sjvcon

sjvcon Registered Member

Ideally, this is the last trail, hunting, camping and towing (small boat / trailer) rig that I will ever build. Maybe I will build a smaller more offroad only type rig at some point, but I don't want to have to. I want to be able to take this thing just about anywhere that it will physically fit. Torque is the most important thing that this motor should have. I am not interested in higher RPM horses. The BBC makes a lot of torque without really doing anything to it. To get comparable torque from a small block, you really have to work at it. Honestly, that was the route I wanted to go because it was the easiest in terms of brackets and parts that I already have on the truck. I have been told that lots of people get the strokers through smog. But when Paul told me that the BBC was the better option, I really started thinking. If I do go with a small block, I guess I will have one built locally. It seems to be a bit cheaper to do that than buy a crate, which would give me a few more bucks to toy around with. Maybe I will go as far as the Dart "Little M" with a 4" stroke and low compression pistons (custom -- ouch, that will hurt). That will give me more cubes than the standard small block but less than a big block. Should translate to better smog numbers than the venerable old 454 I would guess.

10. Hossbaby50

I would look into a SBC with some cubes (383, 406, etc) then also look into fuel injection. That will make your motor run cleaner and give you better power numbers most likely. I run Tuned Port Injection on my K5 and the amount of low end torque I have for offroad is awesome.

I have 4.56 gears, 2.61 low range, and 3.06 first gear and I have almost to much torque offroad. It is sick. I had to detune my motor and adjust my tranny after I did the FI swap on my mild 350. I had to much throttle response and to much power. It was amazing. MPFI is AWESOME.

My next motor will probably be a mild TPI 383. It should have more torque then I could ever need.

Harley