Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AZ: Value of a clean '71 K5 (long)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dbozman, Jan 1, 2007.

1. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Hi, all: Been lurking on this site awhile, first post.

Used to be big into rockcrawling (trailer queen rig) and have been out of 4 wheeling and into muscle cars for a bit now. After a '69 GTO and my current '65 Chevelle, discovering that I'm much more into 4x4s.

Been looking to trade my Chevelle for an older rig and found locally here in the Phoenix area a clean '71 K5. Went to look at it yesterday and did like it, though it has some issues. Trying to ascertain a rough value on the truck for trade purposes.

Again, it's a '71, factory two-tone paint. Body appears very straight with no visible rust. Frame is clean and underside of tub has no apparent rust. Factory 350 with 4-speed (SM 465?) and factory case. 10 and 12-bolt axles (gearing unknown). Factory AC that owner says still works. Owner says motor rebuilt (??) has intake, Holley carb, headers and duals. Starts up clean, doesn't smoke, idles good.

Has what appears to be an 8-inch lift with brand-new 38-inch Swamper TSL radials and nice wheels. Interior is quite clean, stock rear seat, appears to have Beard seats on factory sliders, lights work, etc. Top appears in good condition.

Issues: Broken LF u-joint, possibly taking out ears of outer shaft. Factory tie rod has huge cave-in. (Not being familiar with K5s, I'm assuming the tie rod doesn't have a factory bend causing it to rub the diff cover!!!) Power steering pump is whiny (possibly related to tie rod). Battery exploded at some point, so tray is toast. That's about it as far as I can tell.

The owner is a hot rod guy and bought this on a whim. Doesn't like it. I'm sure he's going to want a straight trade. I'm trying to pinpoint a price range for a rig like this. I'm asking $15k for my car to give you an idea and I'll attach a link to a photo of what I'm trading ...

http://www.photodump.com/direct/blatant/newside.jpg

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance for any insight.
    d

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

There's no way the truck is worth $15K.......

3. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

To clarify, I'll be using this rig mostly as a streeter with some light offroading on occasion, but no crawling like I used to do. It won't be a daily, just a fun second rig to have.

Just trying to ascertain a rough value to begin bargaining. Thanks again.

4. Can Can

Without seeing the truck, it's really hard to say. I'd guess that if it's in good condition, and needs no other repairs than what you've been told, it's worth in the $7K to $8K range, if not less. Hopefully an AZ guy can step in here and give you his take onn things. BTW, if this seller seems REALLY eager to trade straight across for you car, there's a reason. :deal:

To give you something to compare to, a member in Montana is selling his 72, which is built to the tits, for only $12.5K. Here's the link:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191785

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pic's of the K5 would help...

I'll go out on a limb and second what Paul is saying. Sub $10K for that K5. They're usually worth less when they've been lifted and modded so keep that in mind. 38's on 1/2 ton gear leads to busted U-joints and axle shafts. Sounds like the guy bought it, wheeled it, broke it while wheelin and now has cold feet about the whole thing.

Unless he has pic's and receipts on the motor being rebuilt I'd base my evaluation on the motor being old and tired. Seems every vehicle I go look at has a "Rebuilt motor"...:rolleyes: when the reality is most are rattle can rebuilds or just been power washed.

OTOH being an AZ truck rust shouldn't be an issue at all...

How close is your car to being offered at fair market value? Have you had any other interest at that price? I'm assuming you built it and have all the receipts to back up what's been done? It looks beautiful...

Rene

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

People ask high here in AZ , but that price will let it sit , and sit , and sit , and sit .

Here actual selling prices depernding on condition are between 2 and 8 grand .

7. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Tough to put a market value on my car as the '64 and '65 are increasingly difficult to find in unrusted condition. At my $15k asking price, I'm losing nearly $3k with receipts to prove.

There is some value built into me getting rid of a car I'm not terribly interested in anymore and getting into something that I really want.

I don't think the guy who currently owns the K5 has wheeled it. He didn't even know what a U-joint was when I pointed out the broken one ;)

My gut reaction is the guy tried out a cool-looking 4x4 and discovered quickly that it wasn't for him and he had no idea how to fix the issues with the truck.

Any other insight? Unfortunately, I forgot to bring my camera when I went to look.
    d

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I don't have much to add other than with the info you've given us i would be looking at between $5K and $7K coming back to you...again it's very hard to say without pic's. You have seen the K5 in person so you'd be a much better judge yourself.

Have you checked through the classifieds here? I know there are/were quite a few very nice first gens in there over the last year or so. Checking those out might give you a better idea of their relative worth.

There was a gorgeous red '70 (I think it was a '70) that was for sale for months and months. Phoenixzorn was the user name I think. IIRC it went down as low as $4K. Beautiful body and paint, very original too...except for later model K5 seats.

Good luck!!

Rene

9. Can Can

I'm not sure what more you want. Basically, the truck is not equal to your car, so a straight trade is out of the question. If you really like the truck, offer him $6K and see where it goes from there.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you're getting a little too hung up on this particular rig........:dunno:

10. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I bought my 71 about a year ago and sounds like it's in similar condition. There's no way it's worth as much as the car if you really can sell it for that much. Mine was less than $6k and it has very little rust and a real rebuilt motor. My other option was a super built 73 which had new paint, motor and a lift w/35's and he wanted $10k for it.

The rest were in very rough shape and all were under $3k. This is in CA too where everything seems to be more expensive than it should.

I'd recommend selling the car and buying 3 k5's instead. :)

11. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

I don't need anything else, thanks. I was merely hoping folks more knowledgeable about K5s than I am would have insight into market values. I'm not hung up on any particular rig; I have several trade offers on the table that I'm considering, but am leaning more toward a K5 than others (Jeeps, EBs, etc.).

If any other PHx locals have comments, I'd appreciate it. Feel free to contact me directly at azamstaff@yahoo.com.

Thanks again.
    d

12. Can Can

Just so you know, if you buy a membership you get access to a regional AZ forum. The boys there know the market inside and out, and could probably help you find the exact truck you want.

BTW, I forgot to welcome you to CK5. How rude of me........:doah:

13. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

:rolleyes:
    FYI thats how alot of us started out!!!!

It won't take long to revert back to the old ways!
    :D

Welcome to the site!!!

14. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

I've been rockcrawling since the late '90s. My last YJ was fairly cutting edge for the time period and home fabrication (60s front/rear, stretched, high steer, etc.).

Pretty much lost interest in the hobby after awhile. The drive to push further and more hardcore led to much more damage and dollars than it was ultimately worth to me.

Now I'll be happy with a nice streetable, fully convertible rig that I can drive when I feel like it.
    d

15. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

sight unseen id say you could give 5k for that k5 and neither party would feel too bad the next day... i say offer him your car for his k5 and 8500 and if he bites, you have cash in hand to go one ton and whatever other mods it needs.. like x-over and histeer, maybe a shackle flip to replace the rear blocks or lift springs for a better ride...