Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

B and S engine?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by justhorsinaround, Jun 29, 2006.

1. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Don't know if this goes in here or the garage but,

what would a 8 hp Briggs and Stratton side shaft motor be worth if it ran?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

depends on....

It will depend on quite a few things..condition,age,etc...older cast iron ones bring good money at antique engine swap meets..newer aluminum block ones are not as desireable..some with "I/C" on the shroud (Industrial-Commercial)have a cast iron sleeve in the aluminum case,and sometimes a ball bearing on the PTO side of the crank..they last much longer and are worth more..

Since you can buy them in Northern Tool's catalog for 300 bucks or less,I'd say anywhere from 50 to 150 bucks for a used one would be the going rate for an 8 horse motor...

Honda's are kicking Briggs and Stratton and Tecumseh's butts as far as longevity,and quiet running..but they are priced a lot higher...:crazy:

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Yea this one says Industrial/Commercial on the shroud along with cast iron something or another. It's hot outside and I don't wanna go look just yet. Gonna try and get it runnin later this afternoon. It's got compression, but as far as for the rest, time will tell.

4. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is it an "L" head engine, or OHV? Briggs dropped the "L" head design, so one in good working condition can pull a better price.

Kohler ftw!