Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

B&M shift kit **Finished**

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudbogAD, Mar 25, 2002.

1. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I've got a B&M shift kit that I am finally ready to install. This is a stage 1(RV/towing) or stage 2(street/strip) shift kit. Which one would any of you guys prefer. I have a 79 Jimmy with a th350, 4.56 gears and 35's. Thanks

Well guys, after a long talk with my grandpa and his experiences with B&M shift kits he suggested the stage 2. I took his suggestion and considered it. I talked to muddysub and we made it final, I'm puttin in the stage 2. This morning mudysub(Scott) and I started. What a mess!!! ATF everywhere(I need a drainplug). Anyway we went through the process of removing all those internals and modifications to the separater plate and check balls. When we were complete I test drove it. All I can say is it is awesome. It doesn't slam into gear as harsh as I was expecting. It isn't uncomfortable at all. Under normal driving conditions it is a very positive shift. I like it alot. But don't get me wrong though, it does have a hard kick if you have it to the floor going into second, enough to chirp the tires. All that I can say is that I am very impressed with the stage 2. It's great.

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: B&M shift kit

the rv heavy duty one i'll come over this week and we'll install it. wanna chat? oh and do you know how to tell if you have any private messages? if not, an envelope will appear next to the "main index" link. lets go chat.

3. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if I want the stage 1 because I don't know if it will be enough. I want a nice and positive shift.

4. muddysub

so lets do the other one, but if you think about it the kit makes it slip less, wouldn't you lose some gear multiplication?

5. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

No, the kit makes it slip less during shifting only.

6. muddysub

you sure?

lets go chat.

7. muddysub

we might as well be in the chat room, this is just you and me.

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

The RV kit will still give you the positive shift you want but will run cooler and generally last longer. The street/strip shifting is great for a street truck or mud running but the RV will do a better job crawling.

9. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

The RV sounds good. Thanks for the help!

10. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I put one in my 2wd truck, I did the street/strip for it. I like it alot for my tire smoker, but I think I would go with the rv/towing setup for my 4wd.

11. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I think the street/strip one would kick too hard. I'll go with the RV. Thanks for the iinput

12. creampuff90k5

creampuff90k5 1/2 ton status

Hey,
    I used to have this kit in my 700R4 and even on the "RV" setting, I still thought it was way too harsh. The full throttle 1-2 shift would shake the whole truck and break the tires loose. I know this might sound fun now, but trust me, it got old fast! I'm pretty sure it was this kit that ultimately killed my gov-lock. Oh well, it was a good excuse to get an auburn...

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I got a street strip in the 79.....TOO MUCH. Darn fun when scarying punks in Hondas but it's a grocerie getter family hauler and that 1-2 slam gets anoying in traffic. I need to kick it back to the RV.

14. 85 blazer

85 blazer 1/2 ton status

I just put 1 in my 85 k5 witha 700r4 and set it up for both r/v and strip 1) set up the 3-4 accumalator for street strip and set up the rest for r/v. My tranny guy told me most failures of the 700s were from the excessive shifting from 3 to 4 and vice versa, so set that potion up for strip. Also heard of flipping over the 3-4 accumalator piston and using no springs or shims. I am puttin the tranny back in my truck this weekend I will let ya know. it was out for a torque conv.seal leak

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I hate to tell you guys, but I have never heard anything good about putting a B&M shift kit in a 700R4. Everybody has told me that a Transgo kit is fine, but a B&M is bad news for a 700R4.

16. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I put the Transgo kit in a month and a half ago (the one that's $130 from Summit) and it's pretty nice. It takes quite a while to install cause it replaces a lot of parts and modifies the valve body quite a bit. For normal driving it shifts great, not too hard at all, but when I put my foot to the floor it's like driving a totally different vehicle. It'll chirp the tires going into 2nd and holds 3rd gear till around 65. I pulled a packed uhaul trailer from Charleston, SC to Rochester, NY in OD the entire way and it never gave me a problem. I downshifted to 3rd on some of the larger hills through PA and it pulled like a bat out of hell. It definitely gave my tranny a bit of an extension on life cause it was pretty bad before.

17. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the 700r4's but the one I put in in my th350 is great so far. It only took about 3 hours to install. I'm happy with it.

18. muddysub

yeah and i found out over the weekend i have a th400!!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif/forums/images/icons/wink.gif(always thought i had a 350) it was rather easy to install but he's right he needs a drain plug. he let me drive it and wow, i loved it i'm gonna put one in my tranny now. stage 2 was the way to go. oh i gotta change my sig it says th350. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif and is stage 2 as good in a 400 as it is in a 350?

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have heard it's great for the TH 350/400s but to keep them out of 700R4s.

20. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i have a B&M kit in mine, not sure if its a stage 1 or 2, was in there before i bought it, but its nice. I know its a b&m cause the guy gave me the reciept. This trans is the nicest part of my driveline (till i finish the 383 this summer.)