Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

B&M Trick shift fluid?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 27, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Is this stuff any good? I am planning on puting the B&M low level shift kit($40 one) in my 700-R4 in my 90 I am getting but was wondering if the Trick shift fluid is worth it? Gonna install the biggest cooler I can and probably a drain plug for easy fluid changes.

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

It's good stuff I run it in my K-10 and notice a differance (now as to if It's worth 5.25 a quart /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif)It shifts harder with trickshift than with normal Atf and runs about 20 degrees cooler good stuff all & all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

First off, I personally hate the B&M kits, I've seen just as many people not like it as like it. Trans-go kits are nowhere near that ratio.

Second, rumors I've heard say that the trick shift is just rebottled Ford Type F, which you can run in a GM tranny, you just lose some of the "lubricity" of the fluid...which tends to cause firmer shifts since the clutches don't slide on apply.

4. yellowK20

Is there any way to prove that it's the same as Type F ? I agree about the B&M shift "improver" kits they suck my tranny is a TCI prepped 700r-4 with a full manual valvebody and trans brake it shifts hard bye itself but with trickshift it shifts noticeably harder

5. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there any way to prove that it's the same as Type F ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not without having the stuff analyzed by a lab, or knowing someone that works at B&M /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What does it claim to do? Shift harder or firmer? Which is exactly what Type F does, right? Of course, B&M might add their own additives to do other things, but if Slick 50 and the like have shown us anything, it's that the "additive" companies spend no time or money on R&D, and if it makes some people feel better to use a B&M product instead of Ford Type F, I can see it being rebottled without changes. Not saying thats what happens, but it certainly isn't outside the realm of possibility.

6. yellowK20

I'm bout due for a fluid and filter change I might try type F this go around

7. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

A while back we had a guy that was in automotive fluid sales or somethin like that. He knew the chemical make up of tranny fluids. If you do a search on Type F you may find the post. But its been a while back...a year or 2 maybe. But I think he covered the Type F vs B&M fluid.

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

OH MAN! I seen the new reply so I came to check it out and noticed you quoted my boat wake comment. LMAO! After this past weekend, it is SOOOO true. I still cant drive mine cause the seats are still wet from Sunday. The carpet is still squishy and holding water too. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I took my kids to school this morning and had a wet butt when I got home. (Im on vacation this week)

OOPS sorry to get OT.

9. yellowK20

I thought it was cool /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

So it's kinda like the difference between Dr. Pepper & Mr. Pibb? Or Busch and mule piss? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

11. yellowK20

[ QUOTE ]
    So it's kinda like the difference between Dr. Pepper & Mr. Pibb? Or Busch and mule piss?

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

No, it's the difference between Coors and mule piss. Absolutely nothing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I personally wouldn't use a B&M shift kit in a 700R4. I'll 2nd the transgo comment. B&M is trash. The only thing that they make that I like are the tranny coolers.

13. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have heard alot of people badmouth the B&M shift-kits.

I have never heard it spelled out as to why they don't like them.

So what are your reasons for not liking the B&M and what makes the Trans-Go better?

I have a B&M kit in my s10. The instructions were good (except from the fact that I had 3 check balls not 5 like the instructions said) and I have had no problems with it.

14. dyeager535

Friend and I were rebuilding a TH350, and installing a supplied B&M shift kit. ("shift kit" being a trans-go TM:))

After two hours trying to figure out what they meant with their instructions, for ONE piece, we put it together, and it was wrong. We knew what we were doing, it was just piss poor instructions. Been like 5 years, so I don't recall exactly what was wrong, think they weren't clear which way a valve went in the valve body.

The B&M kit for the 200-4R doesn't address a problem with the throttle valve, the trans-go does.

Local trans-shop that does the tranny work for the local GM dealers won't sell/use B&M stuff, all Trans-Go.

I've heard people complain that there is no change in shifts, or the shifts are neck breakers no matter the throttle position. Also noticed that the trans-go kits typically make a lot more changes/come with more parts you change, which to me means its probably been well thought out.

To be fair, shift kits are kind of like building an engine. Is it a problem with the assembler or the components if it fails or doesn't work right? Sometimes its one or the other, or both. But even if the complaints I've seen against the B&M's are due to assembly, it's probably because the instructions sucked. The fact remains, I see 10 times more complaints against the B&M vs. the trans-go kits.

15. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Same here, I put the cheap B&M kit in my 2WD truck (TH350) a couple of years ago and it has been great. About the same time I put the B&M trans-pak kit in my dad's truck (700R4) and it hasn't gave any problems either, and both trucks get punished on a regular basis. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well I will talk around to some friends and see their opinions. I know at least one person taht prefers trans-go but he has never badmouthed B&M just said he prefers trans-go.

17. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I like Trans-Go's better also. Cheaper than B&M, and you get just the kit you want, not 3 in 1. What to do with the extra stuff?

Might be coincidence, but after installing a B&M kit my T 350 went south. Haven't had that problem with a T-Go.

My .02 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

18. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I'll see what I can find out at work tomorrow. We sell oil and have access to lots of info like that....

19. rigdonhome

rigdonhome 1/2 ton status

Years of Experience:

1) B&M Makes OK Shift Kits and TransPaks. Stay away from complete transmissions or anything they claim will hold up to racing or 500hp.

2) Their trans fluid is nothing more than Type F. I have been using nothing but Type F in my GM trannies for over 15 years and it works great. I have a professional shop that has built me 4 trannies for 400+hp motors that he recommends TypeF off-the-shelf for. All are still holding up fine. One is in my Drag Strip car, one in a badly beaten 4x4, one in a tow vehicle, on has been in about everything else you can imagine over the years. All overdrives.

3) Basically, B&M makes great 'Static' parts, anything you can examine in person that is not moving, like a valve body or shift kit or trans cooler. A complex mechanism like a complete transmission? Not for me, thank you.

Just My Humble Opinions.

Cheers,
    Scott

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

well the B&M kit is cheaper than any trans go kit I see. I think all the B&M kit is is a drill bit and instructions on what ball to remove and where to drill a hole in the seperater plate.