Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

B&M Truck Mega Shifter????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Nov 22, 2003.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

Does anyone have experience with these? Am I right by assuming they are a ratchet-type shifter? Would it mount up OK with a stock bench seat and a 203 shifter already in the floor? I'm really looking for something to dress up the interior and a better way to shift - its for a TH350. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

alot of people are doing this, I am looking to get the z-gate shifter, also search ebay for b&M shifter,,lots of them there /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

I like the Hurst V-Matic. Had the B&M, but a full ratchet can be a pain. The V-Matic is both a straight gate and ratchet. Looks good, too.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For B&M, I prefer the Star-shifter over the Mega-shifter.

5. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

What about a full ratchet type a pain? Will the star shifter work for trucks still? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would stay away from any ratchet shifter, reverse lockout, and any B&M in general. Ratchet is fine for racing where you just need positive 1-2-3 shifts every time. But when you need to go from R-1-R quickly *every* time, you simply can't do it with a ratchet. And, if you do any serious rock crawling or trails, finding R instantly at will can often be the difference in rolling or not. It saved my but last week end on a climb up a small canyon wall, the front went up like a military rocket launch platform, and would have continued right on over if I had not backed out of it. I got lucky. My B&M has no R lockout (thank god) but it often overshoots R because B&M (and similar) shifters don’t have a positive stop there. In this case I went past, heard the parking pawl clicking, and backed it up into R just in time…

I absolutely regret buying a B&M. I'm thinking I may try to modify it to give me a positive gate between R and P, but there is quite likely an Art-Car in my future!

7. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

So, what to use on a 700R4? All the shifters mentioned are for TH-350 and TH-400. I couldn't find a Hurst shifter for the 700R4 in my Jegs catalog. Some of the B&M won't work either.

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Not made for trucks, but it really doesn't matter. [​IMG] [ QUOTE ]

The B&M StarShifter is one versatile three speed shifter - wrapped up in a clean, timelessly styled package! In the normal mode the StarShifter is a straight line detent shifter. When the lever is in Low, lift the trigger all the way and pull the stick back to convert to ratchet action. Move the stick forward for the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Cannot be used with reverse pattern valve body.
    Key Features

* Base can be trimmed to custom fit any floor.
    * Cable operated for quick installation and accurate shifting.
    * Reverse lockout feature meets NHRA and IHRA requirements.
    * Includes neutral safety switch & polished aluminum T-Handle & cable.

Applications
    80675 GM TH400, 350, 250, 200

[/ QUOTE ]

9. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

So what do people recommend for a 700R4?

10. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

The Truck Mega Shifter still works for the 700R4, but now I am looking at the Star Shifter for my TH350, it looks like the way to go. I don't do much rock crawling(yet), so the reverse lock-out doesn't bother me. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

11. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I've got the Truck Megashifter on my 700r4, it is much better than the stock column shifter (Obviously)...but yes, I will agree, not being able to go from 1st to reverse in one move can be a negative (when crawling). But other than that, I'm happy with it, it does the job.

12. bnc04

bnc04 Guest

I just installed the B&M quicksilver in my truck. I added a 1/2 pine base for a little extra height. I', a short guy but the shifter sits at a comfortable level and so far no probs at all. Pics in the webshots.
    http://community.webshots.com/user/brc519