Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

B.O.P. and cadillac tranys the same

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by y5mgisi, Oct 12, 2004.

1. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

I need to know casue i can get a bop motor to chevy trans adapter4 for about 50 bucks but a caddy motor to chevy trans is like 150 from 500cid.com. So let me know before i buy. THanks a bunch /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I believe they should be the same /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

cool that would be awsome ! Thanks

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes,the caddy shares the same bellhousing bolt pattern as Buick,Olds,Pontiac--I dont know why you can get an adapter from Jeg's or Summit for about 55 bucks,and they want 100 more from the caddy place(other than to make an extra 100 bucks off ya!).The listings are a little screwy in my Jegs book,they list 2 adapters,one goes from B.O.P. engine to Chevy tranny,the other one Chevy motor to B.O.P. tranny,but there is a misprint in the wording,making it difficult to pick the right one--probably best to call a salesman and tell them what you want to do,and have them pick the right one out.One advantage of using the adapter to the chevy tranny,other than not disturbing the rest of the drivetrain,it gives a little more clearance behind the drivers side cylinder head--some trucks need a slight massage at the floor pan seam there without the added thickness of the adapter--this may reduce oil filter clearance,(sometimes they hit the crossmember)but you can get around that by using a 425 oil pump housing and filter adapter,they are a 90 degree version,gives more clearance,or use a smaller oil filter,or a relocation kit for the filter.I hope to put my caddy motor in a GM truck someday,but I'm holding out for a one ton dump 4x4,so I can USE all that grunt!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

awsome! Im going to order that today!

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Or you can see my Ultra-Bell post which will fit a BOP or Chevy and gives you a MUCH stronger bell housing. No more worries about "K Case" and broken bell housings...

7. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

Is it for sale if so how much?

8. diesel4me

Sorry to highjack--but I helped my friend put a 700R4 in an S-10 saturday,and the old tranny had a huge "K" casted into the bellhousing on each side--is this the imfamous "K" case,or is it just a letter code for I D'ing the tranny???--Just curious if its worth anything,I can probably get the old tranny free(it still worked but was shifting goofy,wouldnt come out of second gear)if its worth anything as a core I might grab it--Thanks for any info!! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

9. BadDog

Is it for sale? All that info is in the linked post including sources...

"K Case" is really nothing but a heavier mounting lip for the converter cover which is cast aluminum instead of stamped steel. The cover adds to the strength of the bell housing when used with the struts, but that is all I've been able to find as a difference. Again, all this is in the other post...

[Edit] Oops, I forgot to insert the link. Sorry, but search would have turned it up easily...

Here it is.

10. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I asked my trany guru friend and that is all there is, nothing else at all, internal or external, period.
    I'd believe it, he got quite flustered about the whole thing when I showed him the thread. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. diesel4me

Evidently that 700R4 was worth something--the core guy showed up at my freinds shop yesterday--he gave him 25 bucks for the core--he also bought some other automatic tranny's he recently replaced for customers,he got 20 bucks for a ford explorer tranny core,and 50 bucks for a toyota corolla tranny core.I'm not happy I missed the guy,he was going to give me 15 bucks for the catalitic converter I removed from my 79 C10,and a few other cores I have lying around.He said the TH350 4x4 cases I have are nearly worthless as far as core value--worth more as scrap!--same goes for high tourque gm starters from the 70's and 80's,only gives 3 bucks apeice!--seems the core guys are hot for any 90-up tranny's and engines,but anything older is considered scrap! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

12. BadDog

I doubt the "K" case made much differnce, if any. The 700s apparently have a fairly common problem with stripping one of the locating tabs off the inside of the case so the cores are in demand. They also strip out things like the planetaries to replace broken parts like the planetaries in my K5 after my brain dead son makes like an idiot and neutral-drops it to show off a pair of roasting 35" BFG-ATs to his friends... but that's another story...