Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

B U M P's in 4wd

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by anatomiczero, Feb 12, 2002.

1. anatomiczero

anatomiczero 1/2 ton status

B U M P\'s in 4wd

After reading another post with people saying driving on paved ground in 4wd is real bad whaat exactly does it ruin? My Jimmy clunks a lot in 4wd (only tried it on pavement)

----------------------------------
    80' GMC Jimmy 4x4, 350-TH350-NP205

2. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

Re: B U M P\'s in 4wd

When you are in 4wheel drive, the front tires try to move the same distance as the rear tires. In a straight line this shouldnt be an issue, but when you try to turn the inside front tire only has to move a fraction of the that of the outside tire. This difference will translate into the front axle not having to turn as many revolutions as the rear to move the vehicle. When you are offroad there is less traction and the tires can fairly easily slip (slide or push) to compensate for the difference. On dry pavement the tires will grip very well and cause tremendous strain on the drivetrain as the front and rear axles will be trying to move at different rates. The transfer case will keep the front and rear axles locked together which will cause major binding. You can drive on dry pavement in 4wheel but the extra strain could cause many things to happen. For example you could break an axle shaft, hub, ring and pinion, driveshaft, u-joint, or tranfser case gears. Though a healthy rig will not likely see any of this carnage the first time it is done, it is hard on components. Think of it like this, you could drain your oil out of the motor and then start it long enough to pull the truck forward a couple of feet and it will probably not detonate in the process, but would you want to do that to your rig? If the motor was weak that might be all it would take to kill it, would you want to chance it? Hope this helps clarify things.

Pics at <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jlblmkh>http://community.webshots.com/user/jlblmkh</a>

(Formerly heaj1)
    Swimmin like a rock, slingin like a stock, but not for long.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Driving on dry pavement in 4x4 will ruin your part time transfer case. It causes it to bind up because there is no slippage between the front and rear axles. When locked in 4x4 the rear axel turns faster than the front when going around corners. The part time x-fer case cant handle the variation in speed between the axles so it goes BANG ! and BUMP !
    Full time 4x4 transfer cases have a spyder gear like assembly to keep them from binding up. So this doesn't happen to them unless locked in 4 low.

<font color=blue>Nevada... Where the pavement ends and the west begins<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Thunder on 02/11/02 11:54 PM.</FONT></P>

4. anatomiczero

Thanks for the replies, hmm I guess I should take it off-road like some dirt and see if it happens.

5. anatomiczero

It clunked when I had the hubs locked, then clunked more when I put it in 4 (clunk seems to be coming from the right front tire) I'm probably going to take out the hub and check everything saturday with my dad.