Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

B_to_C's '79 starting to look trail capable

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Nov 13, 2006.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Another long weekend of laboring on the '79. :crazy:

Learned at least one lesson the hard way. We installed crossover steering on Nicks truck and added about 5-hours of needless head bashing work. Nick pulled an entire steering box out of a 2wd 70s truck as a sector shaft donor. The box that came in the '79 leaks, so we swapped the sector shaft into the box out of the '90. And that's where the trouble began.

Obviously the lines from the '79 were different than the lines for the '90 box. :doah: So it was either pull the steering box out after the linkage, pitman arm and draglink had been installed or swap the hydroboost setup in from the '90. Nick made the call to swap the hydroboost setups. Pretty big pain in the arse. Then to top if off one of the fittings got fouled up in the threads beyond repair. So we had to call it quits at midnight:30.

And since we'd planned to drive his truck home, we ended up driving the big old bucket truck. We were waiting to get pulled over by a cop wondering what 2 guys were doing driving a bucket truck around at 1AM.

Picked up new lines Sunday morning after 3 parts houses told us they couldn't get hydroboost lines. I just went on the Internet and looked up the part numbers. Called them back with just the part numbers and lo and behold they had the hoses in stock. :rolleyes:

Got the it all back together and working. GUESS WHAT?! I didn't occur to us way back at 3PM on Saturday we could have just installed the complete 2wd box Nick had picked up in the JY. :doah: What time that would have saved. :rolleyes:

So, we swapped D60s between my truck and his.
    [​IMG]

Installed crossover steering on Nick's 60. Along with a needless hydroboost swap. We also mounted his toolbox and spare on the back of the truck. Helped eliminate the worst of the terrible ride.
    [​IMG]

And I think the General got demoted:
    [​IMG]

I like this picture because Liam looks like a ghost that popped into the picture:
    [​IMG]

And just for James (aka the Cricket), I cleaned up and paint the 60 before installing it in my truck.
    [​IMG]

2. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

lookin' a lot better than mine right now.

3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Yup, Big thanks to SCOTT who did an incredible amount of work...truly mind boggling how much work this guy did :D.

And to everyone who came up to lend even just one hour to help on this project this weekend, thank you! Oh wait....no one falls into that category :rolleyes::haha:

So the truck...

Thank god for L! I currently still have Scott's rear axle in my truck so I'm running 4.10's in the rear and 4.56's up front :eek1:. This isn't normaly a problem until a warn premium hub decides to lock ITSLEF...then bad things happen. Horrible grinding noises, pops, jumps, stutters, more grinding....things that should NOT EVER happen on a highway on-ramp!

...gonna have to start a thread in the garage about that one.

Anyways, besides the self-locking hub, the truck drives like a dream. There are certainly still some bugs to figure out with the steering, but having that weight on the back and the tires at a lower pressure makes it feel like I'm driving a huge caddilac :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  4. mrk5

So that hub was locked again? :screwy:

At least we do all this stuff to your truck first so I can learn from your mistakes. :tongue1:

5. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

So, was the axle painting a Xen moment or what. :haha:

6. mrk5

Honestly I couldn't stop looking at it. All purdy and painted. Then I kept wondering how long it would last. All I did for prep was scraping, engine degreaser, hose down, and wiped with towel. Not to mention all the trail abuse. I was surprised by how clean I was able to get it. You saw what it looked like.

I even got Nick to paint the crossover draglink red. It looks pretty sweat. Didn't get a picture of course. :doah:

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

RED!!!!!!!!!

You've been corrupted. :doah:

8. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    What's wrong with RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

9. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Looks good Nick! :thumb:

10. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Red made Scott an axle pimp. :rotfl:

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

looks good guys.

that being said, scott....come on now, i thought you were gona sport the beefy 1/2 ton stuff forever:haha:

12. mrk5

I did too. Nick and I were just talking about how 3 months ago I never would have believed I'd be going 1-ton yet this year. Can't hardly pass up $800 for a set of 1-ton axles ready to run and not needing a massive rebuild. Even has a straight factory tie rod! :shocked:

Course I'll be running 4.10s and open diffs for a while. As Rene put it, short-term pain for long-term gain. :D

I still got Dad (fred2mihi) carrying on the 1/2-ton banner. Not to mention some of the AZ guys. :deal: And a local member, sganje, bought my old axles. So they live on in their full glory! :D

13. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

good to hear, them 1/2ton axles are gettn rare on here, soon they will be worth something:haha: