Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

B_to_C's Project '79 - He drove it home!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by mrk5, Oct 23, 2006.

1. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Had a lot of fun working on Nick's truck, especially when it actually left for home. I assume he made it since I didn't get a panic cell call from the side of the road.

We got some much, much appreciated help from James (jiminy) and Nate (ivie29).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

James installed the rear shackle flip.

[​IMG]

And even got Nick to grind one of the rivets off.

[​IMG]

Nick and James installed the passenger side Ford shock tower, HD shackles and 4" HD TC springs in the front

[​IMG]

Nick and I did the HD shackle and spring install on the driver's side and Nick did the shock tower install all by himself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is what the truck looked like when it left at midnight on Sunday.

[​IMG]

Well basically what it looked like. He does have headlights and the front bumper is not sitting on the back of the truck, actually not on the truck at all.

2. mrk5

Also found these pictures.

Not sure what this is about:
    [​IMG]

But I think it has something to do with this picture. James pushing up his sleeves and Nick bending over...
    [​IMG]

:yikes:

3. mrk5

And Nick's salute to the Colorado Crew:

[​IMG]

4. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Hey, those are nifty shock towers. What are they from? Look like they're cast.

Edit - Nevermind, just found the thread in the Garage.

5. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Yea,

And none of this could have been done without the help of Scott, James and Nate...

Thank you so much!!! :bow:

:haha:No that money didn't have somethign to do with me bending over...James just didn't realize he had to pay ME to work on my truck.

Man I must be a happy fellow, I'm smilling in every one of those pictures :D

And yea, I made it home...with a completely numb butt :eek1: BECAUSE of the vibrations caused by one ton sprongs and no bed. The ride is absoultely BRUTAL, but I can live with it for now. I realized I forgot to install the seatbelts :doah:Hope I don't get pulled over...(yea right, this thing is a super-dooper cop magnet). Oh and none of the gauges, heater controls, or interior lights work :doah:

6. OrangeCrushK10

:haha:

Sounds like my kinda ride! :bow:

7. mrk5

I was going to ask you about seat belts, but then I thought I remembered you putting them in. :dunno:

If you don't get pulled over now, you are truly blessed.

8. OrangeCrushK10

[​IMG]

Dang. You know James, for being around a million years old you look pretty buff! :D

BTW, Fred hook ya up with a walker yet? ;)

9. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

10. OrangeCrushK10

11. 5280k5

5280k5 1/2 ton status

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

That was a lot of work.

Actually I paid Nick off so I could leave at 9pm. Old men need their sleepies and I have to get my teeth in the jar. :D

By the way Scott I found the wrenches. Liam very carefully buried them beneath my socket sets. I guess he wanted me to be suprised on my Birthday. :haha:

Make sure to tell him that they are safe.

13. B_to_C

:haha: You were only there half the day! Just kidding, you busted your ass, and we were damn lucky to have you helping, no doubt about it!

UPDATE:

I love the 4 speed so far. L,1,2,3 is just too cool :D. About the long wheelbase...all I can say is thank god one of my apartment neighbors is never home because I need to do a 3 point turn which involves backing into her space before I can squeeze into mine :crazy:. And I thought the looks I got in "The General" were bad! Man, Boulder people, with all their "caring fo the world" can really be snobbish if you're not inline with what they consider a worthy cause. I haven't been pulled over yet, but I work till at least midnight every night this week, so the chances are very high that it will happen soon, I'm sure I will entertain you all with the story. Luckily my brake lights have been working more often than not, but the whole no seat belt thing is a little disconserting, especially because when needing to stop fast I found that the rear brakes will lock up in a second and you have to pretty much hang on for the ride....:eek1::haha:I wish I had checked to see if the speedo worked before we pulled everything apart, because I think I have the cable stuck in far enough but the speedo still isn't working....oh well. The engine is running better than I thought without the input to the ECM concerning vehicle speed, but you can tell that the engine still has trouble when trying to accelerate outside of a narrow range of pedal pressure.

14. OrangeCrushK10

And here I was thinking that running around in my S-10 without front shocks would be too risky.... :rolleyes: :haha:

15. B_to_C

SO...

I'm walking up to my truck today after class and see a meter maid looking at my temp tag and writting a ticket on his little electronic printer :doah:(I didn'thave any money for the meter) so I just walk up to the guy and stick out my hand (gesturing that there's no need to put the ticket on my windhield, I'll just take it and be on my way). So he says "Well I'm out of paper anyways" :screwy: So I go "Ok, thanks" and head for the drivers door. He says "so how much you pay for this thing" :haha:Ended up getting in like a 5 minute convo about trucks / off-roading. So my first brush with the law wasn't so bad afterall :D

AND...

Not having any heat or defrost REALLY sucks on a snowy morning. Really. :deal:

16. OrangeCrushK10

Agreed. I'm thinking I'm going to change out my heater core this weekend.

17. B_to_C

UPDATE:

Got the seatbelts in! :D

Also changed out my PROM (a little computer chip that controls timing etc.) and my drivability went WAY up :thumb:

Got my black doors on, my visor, my front bumper, my GPS antenna, radio, unbroken windshield, and slider rear window installed too :woot:

Scott did something too...I'm not sure what :rolleyes: Oh yea, he solved my "limp dick problem" :eek1:

18. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Where did you get the chip? Post up the swap in a bit more detail please.

19. B_to_C

Got the chip from TBIchips.com. I just got a stock chip for a 1990 blazer with a manual transmission. normaly his chips for our trucks are $95...that is where he looks at data you have logged through WINALDL and burns a custom cips for you. I just had him program the stock programming for me, because I could not get reliable data logged because I still haven't figured out how to get a signal to the ECM concerning how fast the truck is moving. (my chip was $50 shipped)

So before my ECM was thinking the truck had a auto tranny and was just sitting in park as I drove around. Now it knows it's a manual, but still doesn't know how fast it's going....night and day though. The engine doesn't bog down anymore, and I actually have to push the gas in a bit now when I'm letting the clutch out in first.

The instal was incredibly easy. The instructions are on his site, but it goes like this: remove 2 bolts that hold access cover on ECM, pull out old PROM chip (just pulls straight up), put in new PROM chip (just pushes straight down), re-attach access cover.

I thought with your bored out TBI you would of had a custom chip burned James....or did your mechanic do that for you too?

:haha:

20. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

With the week I've had I could honestly kill you. :D For free.