Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'Baby' Lockers for the 12-Bolt Rear... Anyone use one???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Nov 6, 2003.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

\'Baby\' Lockers for the 12-Bolt Rear... Anyone use one???

OK... probably going to give up on my Gov-Lok...

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I had a Lok-Rite in my 7.5" S10 rear diff for several years. It wore out after about 50,000 miles. The truck had a TPI V8 and 30" mud tires. It was my daily driver that saw mostly street miles, many of which were through Wisconsin winters. Point is, I was pretty impressed with its strength and lifespan considering its price and ease of install.

/forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Has anyone used one of the many 'spider-gear-replacement-lockers' that are out there in a 12-bolt diff?
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif What size tires did you use? Most claim 33" tires max but I'm hoping to use 35" tires with my stock 1/2-ton diffs. Not forever, just until I can afford to upgrade.
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif Which brand did you have?
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif How long did it last / did you have any problems with it?

Paul 'X' /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Re: \'Baby\' Lockers for the 12-Bolt Rear... Anyone use one???

I'm using a Lock Rite in my 12 bolt with 35's. I know of other people who are quite happy with that set up and we rock crawl here and woo hoo crawling season is here. Others will "Pooh-Pooh" them, but it probably depends on how you use the gas pedal.

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

AUBURN! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Thats what I was going to get, thats what I have in the 10bolt now, I sold that eaton I had to buy an Auburn, if just didn't want to deal with rebuilding my 12bolt and buying a another aubrun #1 and having #1 sitting /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

4. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I'm thinking about getting an Auburn, how well does it hook up? Will it spin both tires or just spin one or the other. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

5. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your post. I ran in a Lockrite in my old 10 bolt without any problems. Later I put a 12 bolt in the rear and then moved the lockright to the front and still no problems. I think they are a great value.

6. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I like its in my daily driver. If you go around a corner it will spin one tire lightly but if you get on it, both will break loose easly. In college we use to go out to the big parking lots of closed down buildings and stores and spin donuts in the snow. Between that and mudding, my blazer went threw two gov-loc's within a year. This auburn has been in for 4 or 5 years and probley 70K+ miles. I have changed the fluid once and it takes that little bottle of GM limited slip fluid but I think it works great. No clicking and noises while driving around and turning. But it hooks up pretty good in snow, mud, and rocks/gravel. No major three wheeling on this vehicle (yet /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif) so no opinions there. I would put one in my 14bolt if they made one! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I haven't run them myself, but after talking to Marv and Rob, both running lock-rites, I can qoute them "It will work with 35's and a moderate pedal abuse, if your locked up front then carry some extra shafts" I have seen these thing flat out blow up dana 44's, 10/12 bolts. They are plenty strong. Just watch the gas. Allan Greenblazer flogged his 1/2 ton k5 with no problem 2 weeks ago.

Quick fact- EZ-Lockers are rated fo 31" tires only /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Rob blew one up on the street BEFORE he made it to the trail.
    Just my .02

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I ran a Pop-Right in my 12 bolt for several years. It eventually had a minor setback when all the pins sheared at Disney Oklahoma. I got home and since swapped in the 1 ton stuff. But, I welded up the broken pin bosses on the Pop Right and its still in operation under another CK5er's rig.

If you are going to abuse your 12 bolt - like run it for a while and go up to 38" tires, you should consider a Detroit like Shneggie is selling in the For Sale boards.

I had a detroit but sold it when I bought the 1 ton.

I had 38" TrXus STS on my rig at the time - before that I ran 37" Boggers.

Usually my problems derived from broken axleshafts. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm thinking about getting an Auburn, how well does it hook up? Will it spin both tires or just spin one or the other. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard only good things about the Auburn units. I seem to be the only person that had a bad experience with one...

I put one in a 7.5" GM 10-bolt several years ago. The strength was great... I had blown up about 5 stock 7.5" diffs prior to the Auburn, and never had any problems with strength behind my 406.

However, the posi wore out in less than 5,000 miles. And I mean completely wore out, it wouldn't get posi at all and was no better than an open diff even in snow. I tried to get them to replace it but they told me to get bent. I probably put 40,000 miles on it behind several 400's in different cars, but the posi never worked beyond the original 5,000 miles.

Like I said though, everyone else I talk to has had good luck with Auburn... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

10. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your post. I ran in a Lockrite in my old 10 bolt without any problems. Later I put a 12 bolt in the rear and then moved the lockright to the front and still no problems. I think they are a great value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind getting HiJacked!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The more info the better...

11. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I haven't run them myself, but after talking to Marv and Rob, both running lock-rites, I can qoute them "It will work with 35's and a moderate pedal abuse...

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I'm pretty hard on the throttle... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    ...if your locked up front then carry some extra shafts"

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you elaborate on this??? Do you mean that:

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif A locked front diff is likely to break front shafts?
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif A locked front diff will add strain to the locked rear and break rear shafts?

I could see either/or happening, just wondering what your experience was...

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I would say it would be hard on front shafts.

13. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I ran a Detroit EZ Locker in the rear of my blazer 12 bolt, it did not last of the driveway, and that is no lie. Now remember that was a EZ Locker not a lockrite. They are diffrent...

Not I run a Detroit C Locker, the full carrier replacement and a Detroit EZ Locker in the front. I have never had a problem with either locker with it set up this way. I have floged them both in the rocks and I run 35s. I have also floged them both in the mud with lots of skinny right pedal. To date, I have not broken either locker.

Now front axle shafts with lots of righ pedal in the mud, that's a whole nother story, be prepared to brind some spare parts.

In the rocks, I have only broken two front axle shafts both front short side inners, and one was due to a skinny right pedal, and the other was due to having the wheels totally locked to the right, and being in double low with 60 feet of winch cable spooled out and tring to back up to assist the winch.

I am a finese driver in the rocks but if you are a heavy right pedal driver you will have a problem with lockers.

Rob

14. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

A locker allows you to run 100% of your torque through a tire. IE: if one tire is off the ground all the torque is going through the other one. This is pretty hard on shafts.

I run LockRights in both of my ten bolts with 33" rubber. I don't foresee any breakage offroad. I think the rear axle shafts will eventually fail due to fatigue. They "wind up" and release repeatedly when making tight corners. If I finesse it I can usually keep it unlocked but on tight corners where you scrub off speed it's hard to keep unlocked.

The front locker is REALLY noisey. It's hard to distinguish between it and the chain slipping in my NP208.

I drove it in snow today both on the street/highway and out in the woods. No complaints other than when both tires break loose it will slide sideways downhill. Usually with open differentials the one tire will break loose and pegleg while the other tire keeps traction and prevents lateral movement.

15. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are going to abuse your 12 bolt - like run it for a while and go up to 38" tires, you should consider a Detroit like Shneggie is selling in the For Sale boards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this still for sale? I can't find it? Is Shneggie his actual user name??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

16. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status