Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Baby Seats

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rambo, Feb 18, 2006.

1. rambo

rambo Newbie

To all the K5 moms and dads out there!
    I'm about to become a dad for the first time and I'm conserned about fitting a baby seat in my K5. Of course my lifted 85 Blazer is also my daily driver and I want to be sure it is safe for my new addition. I've noticed new car seats have an extra stap that fits into a clip in the back window of most new cars. But what do you do if you don't have that clip?
    Sould I consider putting in a roll bar?
    If anyone has made any modifications that they would recommend doing to make their trucks safer for little ones I'd love to hear them.
    Or any advice for a first time dad would be welcome!
    There's no way this dad can drive a mini van!

2. AV8

AV8 Registered Member

On my kids seats you just run the seat belt through a hole in the back. Nothing special needed. And congrats on being a new dad.

3. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I believe that there is a section in the GM factory shop manual (at least there was in '85) about child seat anchors. (looking in manual, wait for it) It's the last page in section 10-66, a full page illustration of how to do the anchor bolt through the rear floor (back by the tailgate). Maybe someone with a photo host and the shop manual could snap a big pic of that page and link to it.

4. TDAWG1

TDAWG1 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My car seat ditto on the belt through the hole or slots. Congrats on the kiddo. There should be extra straps for different types of vehics, but you should have nothing to worry about. I've been wheelin with my daughter in the JIMMY since day four of her life and No problems, Just strap it down tight. I do think A cage or roll bar is a great addition to the safety though. Good Luck and Have Fun

5. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Congrats on the new addition. My wife and I are expecting our first in April so we had to go through this also. She did a lot of research and found that the Chicco Cortina travel system w/ infant car seat was a good system that was compatible with the seats in my '90 (has the rear shoulder belts). Hope this helps.

Wife just informed me you need to look for a seat with a built in lockoff. There are three with this: Chicco Keyfit, Graco Safeseat & Britax Companion. This is because my shoulder belts did not automatically lock to her satisfaction. She also said you might be able to go to the local fire dept. or hwy. patrol or hospitals for an inspection and recommendation for type. Sorry for the long reply.

6. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

7. rambo

rambo Newbie

Thanks for all the feedback,
    I'm not sure I fully understand the hole or slot. If anyone could snap me a pic of their GM factory shop manual 10-66 it would be greatly appreciated!
    Sounds simple enough, I'm sure I'll figure it out when I see it.

8. 77crewcab

77crewcab 1/2 ton status

I assume your are still talking infant seat here so you are looking at the carrying basket style seat so you can carry the little one around. They can come with a "base" that straps in with the seat belt and then you set the basket on the base and it locks in. or the basket can be strapped in by itself. The only thing to watch is the type of seat belt being used to strap it in and the seat instructinos will tell you what to look for and have a locking clip for the seat belt if needed.

9. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Ahhh...congratulations! Becoming a father has been so amazing, I hop eyou enjoy every second of it...Now as far as seats go, this is one of my pet peeves. Look there is a little dude (or dudette) who is 100% dependant on you dialing in his/her safety, now is not the time to skimp. Drowning is the seocnd leading cuase of death in children under the age of 6, want to know what the #1 cause of death is???? Car accidents! So, yes the infant seat can go in your rig, but as was mentioned here, junior goes in the back with a rear facing car seat (at least those are the rules in California). There are two ways to secure the seat, first you can use the seat belt and either wrap it through the base or through the seat directly. Personally, I liked the base becasue it made the baby seat sit at the proper angel. The other fastening system is the latch which is only on newer vehicles. To your point, it is a harness that attaches to hooks in your car (Honda, Camry, whatever). Here is another thing to think about, once that seat is in you should be able to yank on it without it moving. If it moves, it is too lose...and I don't mean having your wife's grandma push and pull on that thing, I mean yank on it. Right now, my daughters seat is in the car (note - not the Blazer) so tight that if you yank on it, the entire vehicle moves...Yes, getting it in that tight requires some cursing, so make sure junior is inside while you install it! Finally, as for the cage, I can only tell you that my daughter will be four in May and although she sits in my truck all the time, she will not be allowed to go into it until the entire cage is in and every seat and seat belt is tied into the cage...I love wheelin and am anxious to share it with my daughter ( and she is anxious to go, asks almost everyday), but not at the expense of her safety.

Sorry for the long ranting and raving e-mail, I just love kids and like you, and the other guys here, think their safety has to come first and foremost.