Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back again similar issue Wont start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigblazinfd, Jul 15, 2006.

1. bigblazinfd

bigblazinfd Registered Member

So the last time I qrote my 90 Blazer wouldnt start, I had good reason to believe the battery was dead due to my own neglegeance. Now I had been driving yesterday all day and it started fine the whole time until last night I got the kids in the car went to crank it over and it made a very quick sound like it was going to start and then nothing. I checked all my connections disconnected then connected again and nothing still. It acts as if the battery is dead but I hooked it up to a charger/tester and it read full. I tried jump starting it this morning and nothing. It made one really quick sound like it was going to do something earlier and now nothing again. WTF is going on? Can anyone think of anything. Ignition/plugs/short or something maybe I dont know. Its almost 100 degrees out but this thing should still start! Please help I have to be at work in the morning and my back up car just got hit in the driveway the other day pushed throught he front of my house and totaled so I dont have a back up now.

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Headlights come on at all??? try starting while headlights are on, if they dim down ALOT,,, to almost nothing,, indicates a dead battery or some kind of cable problem (not enough power to the starter)

anything else, could be a bad ignition switch, similar problem with another car i have, only hits in a certain position of the key movement.

3. eclmech

eclmech Registered Member

I've had a battery short internally only under heavy load, intermittently. Drove me nuts for a while.

When it was messing around it would test great with a load tester but crap out when trying to crank.

My battery was a premium brand only 2 months old when this started.

Just my story/ suggestion.

Keith

4. bigblazinfd

No I havent been getting any lights on inside or out. I hooked it back up to a charger got an interior light on tried to start and it crapped out again no lights or nothing since then. I am going to take the starter to the oreilly up the street have them check that and the battery for a 2nd time. Im hoping it is a bad solenoir or sm=omething though I dont know why that would give me no lights. The battery tested good a couple weeks ago but I might just try getting a new one like I have heard it could be a dead cell inside the battery or something. I have a new ignition I might also try putting that in. Thanks and if you can think of anything else let me know. I have been on the phone with my mechanic friend ad he told me to go an dhave the starter tested and since it wasnt to hard to take off I will try that.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

did you have your alternator checked out, make sure it's charging the battery.
    You can drive around all day with a brand new battery, but it will eventually die if there's nothing to charge it.

6. bigblazinfd

Ya I had the alternator checked 2 weeks ago when I was having issues getting it to start. My battery is not staying charged for whatever reason though I have to jump start it to get any lights on but then as soon as I disconnect the cables no more lights. I am having more issues than that though I am afraid. I tried to turn my main crank manually using a 5/8 socket and it wont turn. I am going to take the starter off for the hundredth time today and see if I can turn the fly wheel manually or not. Im afraid maybe the motor locked up for whatever reason. I do think their is more to it than that though. Maybe alternator or battery. Ill keep you informed on what is happenning on my end and you let me know if their is anything else you might be able to think of.

7. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a major power leak/drain or not charging or a combination.

The first thing to check, is the alternator charging?

If it is charging then check for a power drain. What type of power draw do you have with EVERYTHING off, doors closed, ignition off? Check to see if you have a drain through the alt. A one wire alt is easiest to check.

The only draw with everything off should be the clock (milliamps). If a drain is present and its not the alt...

What accessories are wired hot all times? Amps, radio, power inverter, etc. These should not be pulling anything when "Off."

Disconnect these one at a time until the drain stops. If there is nothing hooked up, pull fuses, one at a time until the draw stops. (Take a digital pic or draw a good diagram of where each fuse is before starting)

Did the PO do any "custom" wiring? Any relays wired hot all the time and always on?

The last thing I would do if everything else fails, is put a battery disconnect in line.

8. bigblazinfd

Well Im emberassed to tell you what it is but after all this work I ended up snapping my battery terminal an dwent bought a new one 1.49 and 3 minutes worth of work and it started right up. So eventhough I pulled on and jiggled the wires on the battery connection I guess the terminal was bad or not contacting for what ever reason......but its fixed now!

9. eclmech

eclmech Registered Member

Well at least it was simple/ inexpensive

Keith

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

:D

Had this happen before as well, it happens, at least you fingered it out and can now drive :laugh: