Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

back from costa rica ..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigblue, Mar 28, 2006.

1. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

well bigblue and i finally are back from our 8 month adventure ( from san diego to costa rica ) ... i shipped her back from costa to the right coast of florida, will be driving back to san diego when i get around to it ..

i have pics i will be posting .. i must say that everywhere i went people loved my truck and stared like they were seeing a ufo drive by ...

the pic 1 is a shot of my truck and trailer before we drove onto the ferry from baja california to mazatlan, mainland mexico ..

pic 2 camping setup ..
    pic 3 old church .. saw so many of these .. pretty cool ..

truck_trailer2.jpg

daDrive_223.jpg

The_beast.JPG

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  2. FarmerTed

FarmerTed Registered Member

That sounds like an awsome trip!!

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sounds like an awesome trip - post some details when you get a chance.

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

i just got back from there in August, I'm going back in July. The surfing is f-ing awesome isn't it? If you ever make this drive again I would love to go. I prefer summers but I can work out whatever. How much did you have to spend to drive it down (tolls etc.) Any problems? I really wanted to drive my rig down there but I honestly was pretty sketchy. Now I want to do it too.:D

5. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

it is so cheap .. i would say that 3 grand (3 months) and you would have the time of your life .. i surfed the best waves of my life and lived like a king. i caught a ton of fish too ! the biggest cost is gas of course .. if you find some friends to go it makes it much cheaper too .. i spent a little more and did whatever i wanted. the borders are a PAIN IN THE ASS ! but worth every penny of it .. el savador was sick !! endless point breaks .. i broke down a few times and always got out of it fixing it on the side of the road .. and help is cheap .. i had a hydrolic fuel line made for me .. it cost me 28 bucks .. i broke my trailer in half and drilled holes through the frame and had brakets with me i used to rig her up .. my on-board air setup from oasis worked for 4 hours straight on that one and did a great job.

the amount of mud and deep sand and mud pits i went through was mid boggling ! i was pulling people out from getting stuck in mud pits that i was able to get through with my trailer attached ..

it was a trip of a lifetime .. sometimes VERY stressfull, but so worth it ..

attached is a pic of my truck on the ferry lift .. i had 19 surfboards .. !

daDrive_252.jpg

6. chevyk2500hd

chevyk2500hd 1/2 ton status

Maybe it is just me(I am not a surfer). But why would you even need 19 boards. I can understand some are different but are there that many different varieties. Looks like an awesome trip.

7. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

yeah man .. that was for 3 people, but when you are and old school surfer like me you need a different board for a different wave .. kinda like different fishing poles for different fishing conditions and fish ..

it might have been overkill, but i broke 4 boards while i was on my trip so i needed every one of them ..

this pic is somewhere in baja .. and one of the sailfish i caught in puerto escondido, mainland mexico ..

lakeferry2.jpg

sail.jpg

Last edited: Mar 28, 2006
  8. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

WOW, sounds like fun. Looking forward to the pics.