Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back from Las Cruces early - the truggy is down again.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BadDog, May 30, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, it's not been a good week end for me. The latest set of rear springs lasted only half a trip. I also broke the Th350 into 2 pieces with a vertical break running right up through and in front of the trans case mounting boss. Other than that just some little junk like hashing a choker and some physical damage here and there.

Then I also lost a dust cover on one trailer hub, lost trailer brakes on the way home with no obvious damage or reason for failure, and had a tire separate on the trailer...

Ahh, SOL again...

Pictures later when I get time, but I think this may be the end of the truggy as we know it...

Much thanks to everyone who pitched in to haul my broken behind out of a very nasty little wash/trail, at times requiring the combined efforts of *5* functional vehicles to get me through. First time ever I've ever broken so bad I had to be hauled out on a strap. Anyway, can't say thanks enough to everyone. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Damn Russ, that sucks big time. I thought you were back in town, I saw that little black rain cloud cruising up the SR51. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You are on a stretch of seriously bad luck.

I broke today to if it makes you feel better. And I did it on Raw Deal to boot. Snapped two crossover steering arm studs. Nothing like you though.

If you need any help with anything give me a ring. I am right down the 51 at McDowell.

Harley

3. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

Sounds like some bad mojo.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Somehow I see a link suspension of some type in your near future.

Holy S*)^&, 5 functional vehicles? that's insane.

5. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about that, when it rains it poors /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. BadDog

I've been planning a link system for some time, but there are so many conflicting issues that I never implemented it. The frame shape is all wrong, cutting it off means re-doing the entire tail, cage and all. And the gas tank will have to be custom made to clear the upper link bridge on the axle. Lots of other little issues too, but those are the main ones. At that point I'm thinking it's time to start over rather than keep going further down a dead end, where every step forward is getting exponentially tougher to take.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sorry to hear that the rig busted. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Aren't you running Ford 57-inch springs out back now? Perhaps a set of 56's from a Sub or 3/4-ton pickup would work better? I'm getting ready to swap out a set of sagging 1/2-ton 56's from the rear of my '90 Sub for a set of 3/4-tons. I'll send ya the old 56's for the price of shipping if you want them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif They may be "broken in" to the point that they would flex pretty good for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been planning a link system for some time, but there are so many conflicting issues that I never implemented it. The frame shape is all wrong, cutting it off means re-doing the entire tail, cage and all. And the gas tank will have to be custom made to clear the upper link bridge on the axle. Lots of other little issues too, but those are the main ones. At that point I'm thinking it's time to start over rather than keep going further down a dead end, where every step forward is getting exponentially tougher to take.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. good luck

9. BadDog

Here are the pics I promissed. I'll try to add more narative later along with pics of some of the other trucks. Right now I have to get busy on other things...

Pics

10. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

nice pics that waterfall is mean looking did anybody get up it w/out a strap

11. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Russ,

Sorry to hear about your breakage in NM......looks like a cool trail, how does that area compare with Florence Junction? Had a great time on Elvis but Axle Alley kicked my butt on Sat, my only breakage was the battery tray but had that fixed in 10 minutes. Got lots of body damage though..... /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

12. BadDog

Yep, only 1. A 16 year old girl in a 122" (?) hybrid (Sub frame and S10 extended cab). She didn't exactly make it look easy, but she got up there without too much fuss with my 12 year old daughter riding shot gun... The other trucks were generally too short wheel base to have much chance, but I thought I had enough to make it go... I was wrong... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Edit: Oh, and Tim broke the welded 14FF carrier in Butch on that same water fall just before my disasterous attempt. Also, I'm pretty sure that's where my trans busted, but it didn't let go till the next little water fall shown below the big one in the pics.

13. BadDog

That's hard to say. I would compare that trail in NM fairly close to Annihilator in TM but a lot longer with more obstacles. I have not seen anything with falls like that in FJ. They may be down there, but I usually wind up at TM so I can't really say.

14. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Ive never been up to TM so I wouldnt know, Axle Alley is only 3/4 mile long with 3 water falls, I think its rated 4.5+ or so. Definately everyone winches up the first one /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Took our group of 6 rigs over 8 hours cause a Jeep with a D35 rear busted an axle shaft, his Trac Lok with a zillion little springs took forever to re-assemble in a boulder field /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Trail ratings must be much different here than there. At badlands they've got 5 rated trails that are much easier than those pics show! The pink and orange trails sure don't have anything that look like the pics on russ's page.

16. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Russ,

Sorry to hear about the breakage.. That sucks especially after the long trip to Cruces. That a nasty waterfall, the week we were there we saw some nasty breakage on that one. Only say 3 guys make it up. It's a wheel base thing totally on that waterfall.

Cruces will humble anyone, it's totally deceiving, the rocks and waterfalls don't look bad until you drive up next to them and try to drive up them.

Sorry you had such a time, but Cruces is the $hit when it come to wheeling.

Rob

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

wow, thats hardcore. /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

I think I wouldnt have even tried, I woulda busted out the winch already.

Think TBI would still run at 90 degree??

18. BadDog

It will pretty much run till the pick-up sucks air or you have issues with oil pressure or something like that.

19. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I doubt my 'Burb could even get there to look at that.... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

20. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Those waterfalls have nasty writen all over them. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif That is some pretty awesome wheeling. One day hopefully I will be able to run a rig to wheel with you and the rest on stuff like that. Like I said, if you need a hand with some of you stuff let me know.

Harley