Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back from Lead King Basin

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by 3 on the tree, Jun 17, 2006.

1. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

All 3 rigs made it through w/o any carnage or breakage. Beautiful scenery. At one point, I had 2 bicyclists behind me, running downhill. They asked me to pull over some so they could pass!!!! I knew I was going slow, but that is downright embarassing.:eek1: Oh well, I never said the burro was fast. I did not take any pics, too busy staying on the trail. Thanks Fred2mihi, for the suggestion to run this trail. I had a great time, even though my clutch leg is very sore. I expect pics from the trip will be posted in the next 48 hours. I tried to teach my dog to use the camera, but the only pics she took were critters.:crazy: :crazy:

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Dad has to wait until he can get to the internet - or in his case the library. He said Duane had to go straight to work afterwards, so he won't get his pics up for a little while.

I'm glad that everyone made it back in one piece, even if Dad was trying to put the brakes on.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Sorry I missed it, good to hear you guys had fun.

4. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yes sir, we had a great time yesterday! It is interesting how your memory, at least in my case isn't what you thought something was from before. I certainly didn't remember it as being so narrow and so rough. Cirrous is sure a trail riding pooch, I think she enjoyed the trip as much as anyone.

Mrs. 70 Jimmy (Chris) got a lot of hiking time in the areas that she didn't want to ride. And, and you know what those bikers got around the trail nearly as fast as we did in k5's.

Sure wished we had waited a little longer for ivie25 as we met him going around LKB the opposite direction as we were going. Sorry man.

I think we all had a good time and look forward to another group outing in July or August. We are open to suggestions, I know there are some cool runs over around Lake City.

I'll let Duane post the pictures when he gets caught up on his sleep. THANKS TO YOU BOTH WITH FIXING MY LOCKED UP BRAKE! I'm sure glad it didn't happen on the trail.

fred2mihi

5. mrk5

Yeah, and it was really good that you had 3 on the tree along. A guy in a stock 1st Gen that deals with nothing but drum brakes on his truck. He's should be our resident drum brake expert.

6. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Mike knows all kinds of things related to hammers. :haha:

7. 3 on the tree

Sure do. Now hold your hand real still,right there.:D

8. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am bummed that I couldn't make it. My stupid front wheel drive only burn out last weekend broke the left stub shaft ruined a drive slug and made it to where I couldn't get the spindle nuts off.
    I am still broken and waiting on parts so that put me out.

What were the snow condtions like?

Sounds like a good time was had by all.

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Pics Finally!!!!

LKB Crystal Mill 001_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 002_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 003_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 004_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 005_1.jpg

10. 70jimmy

11. 70jimmy

padding post count

LKB Crystal Mill 011_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 012_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 013_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 015_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 016_1.jpg

12. 70jimmy

Yes still more

LKB Crystal Mill 017_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 018_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 019_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 020_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 021_1.jpg

13. 70jimmy

more still

LKB Crystal Mill 022_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 023_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 024_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 025_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 026_1.jpg

14. mrk5

Nice pictures, guys.

15. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

Its to bad that I went the opposite direction as the group.Next time I will get to the meeting spot earlier.Anyway it was a fun day and a good test drive of the blazer I was driving.Think we made a new record time for completing the trail cuz I was sure that we would catch up to you guys:haha: .Good thing the blazer isnt mine yet.

Thanks for the stickers mrk5

16. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

OK, now I'm officially depressed. :(

Man, I missed a good one.

17. 70jimmy

A few more yet!!

LKB Crystal Mill 027_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 028_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 029_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 030_1.jpg

LKB Crystal Mill 031_1.jpg

18. 70jimmy

Still eating bandwidth!

Okay a little summary: We met at the turn off to the town of Marble at 9:00 a.m. Fred2mihi in the blue blazer, 3 on the tree (Mike) in the burro, the brown blazer, and me (Duane) 70jimmy in the ugly red one. We started by swapping parts. I gladly traded a spare thermostat housing to 3 on the tree for an auxiliary battery tray for the jimmy. We then headed up Crystal mill. Beautiful scenery and the river was flowing fast. 3 on the tree was going to wade across the stream to the mill but us poor 4 wheelers couldn't come up with enough cash to make it worth the feat.

On further up the trail came a few narrow parts and the jimmy only went three wheels a couple times. The burro again proved you can wheel a straight six with no suspension modifications. It definately has a good turning radius. Fred led the way as usual as the pic shows me eating his dust at least until the bicycles passed us.:rolleyes:

Stopped for lunch at a nice open meadow and watched a couple deer roam around. 3 on the tree's dog Cirrus gobbled up his lunch on a makeshift plate and Fred's dog Jacz enjoyed romping around. 3 on the tree used a tow strap to slow Cirrus a bit. Fortunately it was the only time a strap was used all day. After some navigational discussions we continued up the trail to Lead King Basin side where we met several people on ATV's and a couple on motorcycles. We also met a few fullsize vehicles, one of which was Ivie. I didn't learn it was him until later. sorry we didn't stick around longer at the turn off. Probably a little bit my fault since everybody knew I was supposed to be at work at 3 p.m. Yeah right!!:o

So through several more narrow places, I think the jimmy picked up a few tree scratches. We ended at the lake which I think was Marble Lake where we saw momma duck and like 10 ducklings. That is what is in the lake pic that just shows water. high in the pic and to the right you can barely see them. A little mechanic work ensued here as when Fred tried to leave his left rear drum brake hung up. So a little wrench twisting and hammering by 3 on the tree made quick work of that. Hmmm de javu, Mike with a hammer. I suffered a bent antenna that turned into a broken antenna when I tried to straighten it :o .

So then it was the trip back, after a couple wrong turns in Marble we were on our way. 3 on the tree decided evidently to turn off and go back over Kebler pass. Fred and I headed for Paonia to gas up and get a snack. My wife decided it was too hot and needed to shed her top. No Fred it wasn't a signal when she waved her shirt above the cage. Had something to do with a large bumble bee flying down there.:haha: So a few more miles down the road we parted and I made it home at 5 p.m. and was at work at 6 Sorry boss :wink1: .

Then the powers that be frowned upon putting entertainment in front of work. I ended up working thru the night and not making it back home until 9 the next morning.:mad: Had something to do with the Telluride green grass festival. Oh well.

Anyway it was a great day. Enjoyed getting out with the family and seeing everybody again. So until next time I bid you farewell.

LKB Crystal Mill 032_1.jpg

19. mrk5

Nice little write-up, Duane.:waytogo:

Just curious, where were you going in this picture?:dunno:
    [​IMG]

I can't decide if you're going to take a plunge straight down the slope or trying to back up the hill to the next switch-back above. :rotfl:

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  20. 3 on the tree

I almost forgot. Thanks Fred2mihi gor guiding me around that one bad spot.:D The line I was gonna use would probably put me over the edge.:doah: