Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back From Rubicon......

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by blazer88k5, Sep 22, 2002.

1. blazer88k5

blazer88k5 1/2 ton status

Well looks like I am the first to get back from the 'con. I will let "gofuelpumpgo"... oopps i mean "gokartergo" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif give you guys the full report. I think everyone has something to tell LOL from Chaz... well lets just say his door is not the big fix anymore!! to Burt4x4's spark show!! That's all I am saying.. after I get through here I am going to take a 5lb hammer and give my 88 a few thumps. I fell bad my rig sat here all weekend while everyone elses got THUMPED and I mean THUMPED!!! Oh well....

Thanks guys for letting me wheel (well kinda LOL ) with you. I learned alot and had a blast. No I am gong to wack that 88 in my drive way then go fix something on it!! LOL

Thanks again guys!!!

Randy
    and Dan remember.. "YOU'RE ON THE CON!!!!" (thats another story!)

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

WE WANT PICS!!! WE WANT PICS!!!!!!

3. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I guess will start listing carnage here.. One very bent tie-rod..Both rocker panels are gone..I left red herculiner on a few rocks and trees.. I have one big dent in my front quarter panel and one smaller dent in my rear.. And to let you guys now.. We really didn't even get past Gate Keeper.. But it sure was fun.. I will post some pics later after I take a much needed shower

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

well like randy said....the door is the least of my problems right now....the worst i got in body damage is where the bumpers pushed up agenst the body..but not bad at all there..but my big problem is that i cant steer at all...my steering box ripped off my frame...we spent 10 hours tryin to okie rig it and get me out of the trail...I would like to thank everyone that hung around to help me get out of there...Dan, Dave (aka Goldrush), randy, steve burt (altho he dident have much of a choice in the matter either but ill let him tell that story) and everyone else that was there...i am really depressed that we all couldent have made it to little sluce...i feel like an ass for holdin everyone up...but [censored] happens i guess..next time it will be hydro assest and this box issue should be a non issue...so with this break i am officaly out of goin to blazer safari..but the break isent relly the prob...my drivers licence is gone as of tommorow...so i am goin to be hittin everyone up for rides for a few months /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

5. gokartergo

I just watched the video.. You can see the sparks flying from Burts front end when he broke the axle U-joint..I am going to start on spme pics now...

6. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Chaz,

Your welcome for the help. Some day it will be my turn to break in a really bad spot and I'm sure you'd help out. Kinda handy havin a welder along for the ride? Well for that matter havin spare parts like axle shafts too.

David

7. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Me and Craig did more wheelin than anyone on the whole trip on my quest for arc welding rod /forums/images/icons/grin.gif .We ran all the way to the sluice,got the rod and some pieces of scrap metal ,and turned around and went back /forums/images/icons/grin.gif And then ya didnt even need it by the time I got back /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

"I wana get to the Rubicon!! You are ON the Rubicon!!!!"
    DanO's new friend!! HAHAHA LOL

Well I guess I should start with my story, and it goes like this....
    TopOff and I get there about 8am and everyone is inline for the start of the trail. The first part is up hill just a bit and left turn. Well the left turn has some big bolders to go over and me and my happy foot bust a Ujoint(reported later to have some good sparks flying /forums/images/icons/cool.gif )on the pass side axelshaft. No worrys I change a Ujoint! But there are 10+ rigs waiting for me to get my 'junk' out of the way! So I motor on down the trail in 2x4 to get to a 'clearing' to fix my rig....well long story short the 2x4 mode died on the next big rock and my rear driveshaft busted an ear/ujoint!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif Nope aint got a spare and all that DAMN traffic needs to pass me!! So we manage to get my rig to the side of the trail and right then Chaz's box jumps off his frame /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif
    A little tire kicking and Chaz is out of the way(short story version). So while chaz had a nice spot to work on his rig mine was still on the trail, only got scraped/banged once by a passing rig. Wich is perrty good considering DanO(GokarterGo) counted , I think, 23 rigs that passed us in that 2hr intervall of just waiting to have the room to take my front wheel off to gain some kind of acvtive drivetrain /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif
    anyway we pushed pulled DRAGED winched straped ALL the above and just barily made it off the trail before night fall!!! Remember we started this at 8am!!
    What a great time!!!
    EVERYONE pulled together, well beides a few stuck up jeepers that think they freakin own the wilderness! opps side track...
    So my drive train is toast for now....Next year I will be ready again....
    Yes, I did forget my camera!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif
    I got home by driving FrizzelFry's rig and my K5 was on his(Chaz's) trailor.

9. gokartergo

You forgot to mention about the scout taken you for a ride and bending your front drive shaft.. My new saying.. Your on the Rubicon

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

/forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Damn I wanted to go with ya'all.............. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

11. CRAWLIN70

CRAWLIN70 1/2 ton status

Well wish you all could have made it back to the sluice box. you want carnage? well where to start both rockers drivers door drivers rear cab. both front fenders both rear fenders. broke a 12" section of the in side bead on my front wheel. oh and spiraled my rear drive shaft. but let me tell you all it was worth the trip! it is awsome back at spyder lake. we will all have to plan a trip for next year. time to go back to work and figure out how to build my flatbed and make my truck a 4-seater /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

12. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Maybe next time we could all go as 1 group.

David

13. crawlerfj40

crawlerfj40 1/2 ton status

Next Time I am going it will be for atleast 4-5 days there is so much there and two days dont even cut it!We will plan better and know not to under estimate the con! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

14. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Dang dude!
    For me i will start carring spare drive shafts. Ofcoarse I don't even have a main pare of shafts let alone a spare set /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif I'm thinking of just giving the Con to the Heepers and wheel elseware /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif too much traffic for my liking. Kyburs is just up the road from there and that is very cool high sierra wheelin too. I still can't belive that some of thoes Heep drivers were actually mad we brought our fullsize rigs up there! Like they own the place /forums/images/icons/mad.gif whatever.....

15. crawlerfj40

crawlerfj40 1/2 ton status

Hey Burt don't worry about it no matter where you go there are people that think they own everything. There were quite a bit of full size rigs up there even a suburban and most of the jeeps had full size axles in them. There were some pricks up there but for the most part the people we talked to were really nice. Once you get in a little more there is alot more room and a few tight spots but it is better. I know you would have a blast at little sluce it is nasty. But lots of people up there had all kinds of broken parts. So it is not a big deal. We got over ran by sandrails on our way out they thought they owned the con. lol. But in the end we think the con owns us. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Stacy

16. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Wholly cow!

I am glad I turned tail and did the camping thing with the g/f.

We had a great relaxing time at Loon Lake. I am still amazed she WANTED me to "wheel" into a camping spot...ahhh seclusion.

The problems you guys specified is the reason I turned tail. I dont' have any spare parts with me or at home (or money for that matter). I knew I would need to be towed back home, and THAT would NOT go over well with the g/f.

It sounds like you all had fun.

When I can get some front axles, and a rear driveshaft as a spare, I will go (without the g/f)

17. Red Chevy Girl

Red Chevy Girl 1/2 ton status

Well my damage report is two of the cracks that where welded up had to be rewelded at the sluice box and on the way out I had to tighten the bolts on the steering box twice other than that no damage really. Also the jeep had that had the welding rod broke the steering box off at eleise creek on the way out.
    We meet the dune buggys at gate keeper on the way out, and they let us go right through. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I was following RedChevyGirl, Frizz and Craig (Jeep guy) towards Spyder and my steering was just being a real b#tch! Was leaking all over, thought it had just overheated and was coming out the reservoir cap...I had no assist at all with my ram...I finally got underneath for a closer looka nd lo and behold, my high pressure line had split in two places right near the crimp fitting...fluid would pour out when I turned the wheel...it was a real mess. So, we ate lunch on the trail and filled her back up with fluid and turned around. We were all by ourselves, the others had kept going on...and of course my CB blew its fuse right then, so I had no way of calling for help... /forums/images/icons/frown.gif We turned around and started the long, slow trip back towards the trail entrance...with no power steering it was a real fight...and with no steering stabilizer (that's the ram's job now!), the kickback in the wheel nearly broke and/or ripped off my thumbs a million times! No fun...I was happy to see the others when we finally made it back, and I had gone through almost 6 qts of power steering fluid on the way back! I had to stop and fill it up every few minutes to keep the pump from eating itself...

So anyways, my damage was the PS line. Because of the lack of steering assist, during my struggles I managed to drive into a large rock with the rear driver's side fender - I now have a nice new dent along the fender all the way back to the taillight (luckily it didn't get ripped off!) Somehow, my Con Ferr rack supports also buckled during the trip, so the rack was resting on my roof, and every bump, the tire would bounce and hit the roof! Got a new dent in the roof now. Other than that, just the usual scrapes and dents on the sliders, diffs and undercarriage...

Oh, and add one blown trailer tire to that damage report!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif