Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back from surgery...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jun 29, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well we are back from surgery. Ruby seems to have taken things well.

First off, the WORST case scenario has obviouslly not happened, she is alive and well after the surgery... welll the term well is relative I guess.

Second, its cancer. The DR didn't even need to send it off for testing, she knew right away. She said its some form of tumor that is related to a very invasive, particularly bad kind of cancer. So basically, Ruby is living on borrowed time from here on. Been trying hard all day to not sit and think about it cause every time I start to I tear up and get choked up real bad.

Third, the "wound" is nasty looking. Don't expect any pictures of it cause I'd rather people have the cute image of her they do. She looks normal from above, except if you notice a little suture sticking out the side. She is on antibiotics for a bit, stitches out next week, then I don't know. I just make her last months(haven't asked yet how long the DR thinks she has), as good as I can. And prepare myself.

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Sad to hear, but on the bright side, hopefully she'll go more comfortably than she would have with the lump still there.

You did the right thing getting it removed.

3. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about the cancer. But you did the right thing. Enjoy her.

4. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry to hear that also. Enjoy her while she's here. Time to give her all of those "bad for you treats". At least now that the surgery is done she will be more comfortable, which is the best you can do sometimes.

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Sorry to hear that. I ope your time with her is not cut too short, enjoy as much as you can. The loss of a pet is tough, regardless of species.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Sorry to hear that Alan :(
    I'll keep Ruby and you in my prayers to keep you guys well.

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Hey Sleddy,

Did the vet remove all of the cancer or is there more? If she got the tumor out is it possible it will not return? I think her chances are much better because you did something about it early on. I'd like to know just exactly what the diagnosis is and exactly what form of cancer. That is if you don't mind posting it. Don't give up yet, not until you have a follow up.

I can't begin to tell you how many times the vet said our pets had a limited amount of time. Most vets will give you the worst case scenario of gloom and doom. Do your own research as well once you know exactly what your dealing with. Don't just blindly follow the vet, use your own head too.

Addy: almost forgot to add a good example. Our cat slinky was a stray. She came to us with toxiplasmosis (parasite in the brain fluid). It had damaged her nervous system by the time we found her and brought her in for treatment. She was about a week away from dying. They were able to kill the parasite but the damage was done. We've been with the same vet for years and over the past 8 we've had Slinky he's told me 3 times that she was going to die due to the damage along the nerve pathways of her spinal cord. Problem being her nerves in the bladder and colon do not function properly. She was becoming impacted and infected. The vet told us there was no hope. Now I appreciate his opinion but I get irritated when they give me the doom & gloom scenario. We've did a lot of our own research. Everyone will love hearing this one. Started off with cat enemas then made huge changes in her diet. We mix pumpkin in her food to bring moisture out of the body and into the bowel, keeps things moving. We have her on a daily regimen of stool softener and muscle contraction medication, keeps the colon functioning. So what I'm trying to tell you is that you may be able to give her a good life with a little extra effort, it just depends on what you can find in the way of alternative treatment if any is available. There may not be but sometimes you get lucky. It's worth searching around on your own and not necessarily taking a vet's word as the final one. Keep your chin up kid and don't quit now.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

jiminy, that's awesome. our youngest Border Collie was found in a ditch in KY along a major highway. appeared to have been hit by a car. a friend of my mom's picked the dog up, nursed her back to health, including a good battle with worms, and placed her in a good home. she's got a little limp now, but otherwise a very happy dog.

sled, dont give up on Ruby yet. she's sort of a CK5 mascot, even after she's gone, she'll still be here. take lots of pics for us. and i agree on the "bad for you" treats, let her live it up.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Vet claims this form of cancer, it would be nearly impossible to get all the cancer. She just removed the largest chunk we know of. I'm going to call and discuss some stuff today, I'll update after that.

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

have as much fun with her as you can ,bro.she doesn't know anything is wrong so, just keep doing what your doing.get lots o pics.like what was said the lounge mascot. :D :thumb:

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Damn... I was really hoping this would turn out the other way for you & Ruby.
    Like others have said - at least she doesn't have that lump pushing on her innards, and she's definitely more comfortable. You did the best you could, and you did the right thing for her.

12. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that. Just do what you can to keep her comfortable and enjoy her as long as possible.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

That sucks...

I'm sorry to hear Ruby has cancer---she is so cute!..I hope she has a happy life for the rest of her time here with you--at least you tried to help her..I've had to watch a few pets suffer because we did not have the cash to have them treated...nothing worse than knowing there was something you could have done,and were unable too..

Makes you think about your own mortality,when a pet is sick,or dies..unfortunately,NONE of us will live forever...but we CAN share our love and joy while we are still here..so make the best of her while she's still here...I'll say a prayer for you and Ruby...God Bless... :crazy: