Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back from Tony's

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dontoe, Mar 3, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Someone in a post recently said, (in a conversation about slang and then sandwiches) that Tony's had the best "Philly" Steak 'n Cheese in North Carolina. Well, I ask Steve from work, (He's from Oil City, Pa.) where the nearest one was. Seems there is one across from Target and Dick's Sporting Goods in Hickory. So the Misses and I had lunch there today. I ordered a Meatball Sub and she a "Philly" Steak 'n Cheese. Here if you order a "Steak 'n Cheese" it comes with lettuce and tomato and mayo. So, anyway the Meatball sub was absolutely fantastic.........going back there again soon for one of those and the Steak 'n Cheese was really good. Though they mixed the ingredients up before puttin' 'em on the bread. I prefer layered personally. But, yes; great place to eat. The babes next to us had a nice .............looking New York style pepperoni pizza. My try a slice of that too next time.:grin:

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

tsk tsk tsk, ITS NOT STEAK N' CHEESE :), its a Philly Cheesesteak. And what your wife had isn't a Philly Cheesesteak either. We call that a Weber. For those not from our area its a Cheesesteak Hoagie.

3. dontoe

Yea, that's it. We call 'em Philly's so I was trying to remember what yus was calling 'em. Sorry!

What would I expect on a "real" Cheesesteak?

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Kinda depends on who you ask... Some say fried onions and Cheez Wizz. Others say Provolone and no onions. Others say American and fried onions. Or any combination of the above...

I think it was me who told you about Andy's in NC, but I don't know about Tony's.

5. dontoe

Now I got ta look for an Andy's..............Short term memory loss............long term too!!!:blush:

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My "real" has steak, sauce, and fried onions ;). But I don't each cheese. Like mentioned, there are a lot of different combos. There isn't really a set, "Philly Cheesesteak Recipe". Its what you like best really. Back home they are made with american cheese I believe. But if you go to the city you can get the "real" ones with cheez whiz. Not sure what the other place uses. I can't remember which I've been to either, Geno's or Pats. :D

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Philly at my resteraunt equals peppers and oniond friend with melted swiss on a hoagie bun.

8. dontoe

Yea, same around here, well some places put sautéed mushrooms too.