Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back from Uhwarrie

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by sapper, May 1, 2005.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well it was a good weekend for some, okay everyone but James, definitally the bad luck winner with to much carnage to list, here are some pics, didnt get alot though, hopefully yieldtome will post some later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

The pics look like fun! I hate to hear James had some bad luck, I hope it wasn't anything too bad.

Is someone is about to do some more fender trimming? :thinking:

3. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Here are few shots I've got.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2005
  4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Whats up guys?? Had a blast wheeling....

Sorry we didnt get to catch back up with you Saturday, but after the lake, we went back to camp, chilled, and went out for a night run. Then it rained like a Beeootcha for a couple of hours. Today we did Dickey Bell and Rocky mount.

I slid to the left on the first ledge and it really bent up my x-member. Luckily it is not a crossmember that actually supports anything. The upper raditor hose got caught on the alternator (2nd trip in a row), so it was leaking all over. I need to come up with a way to remedy that.

Anway, here a few pics....

URE 001.jpg

URE 002.jpg

URE 004.jpg

URE 012.jpg

URE 015.jpg

5. sapper

It was more than a little bad luck, the short version is he got on it and the MPFI was working like a dream, got the ass end off the ground and when it came down those Hawgs aired down and the detroit grabbed but the truck couldnt move so both rear spring perchs split and curved around the axle, pinion was pointed up at the belly of the truck and both drive shafts were ejected, it took a few hours t get it down and all day at Johns to get it back on the road, if not for John, Harrison and a few other people it would still be up there, those guys really showed what helping a brother out is about!!!!!

6. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

what the duct tape and zipties didnt fix that :whistle:

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Nice photos of some tough trucks!!!

Was thinking of y'all will I was putting in twelve hours.............catch ya next time.

Sorry James.........makes for great stories though. At least ya had a trailer and some great dudes to help a get it there!

8. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

All right. I just made it back to the house. Man what a weekend. My saying for this weekend is, I drove for 4 hours to wheel for 15 minutes!!!!!!! Well like Paul said, Fuel Injection worked great but had other areas that wasn't so great. Wrapped the spring perches around the axles, rear pinion pointed up and snapped the straps off of the rear pinion. They said I got some air but can't really tell from the driver seat. Front drive shaft, I ripped the ear off of the CV section of the shaft and split the U joint into about 40 pieces. Took John a good bit to pick it up off the trail. Tried to fix it on the trail thinking we could limp it down but as soon as it slipped into drive it shot the pinion back to the sky.
    If it wasn't for John and Harrison, and Elliot I would more than likely still be there. They daisy chained me down the mountain with a few tow straps. That was an adventre. Going down, I blew a power steering line so that was gone. Was pretty interesting.
    Well we get down and load the truck on Johns (borrowed) trailer, man that thing is sweeeeettttt, and get it to Johns house where we (John) spent today making some more spring perches, well, I wouldn't really call something that beefy a perch though.

If I missed anything, feel free to fill in for me. Oh a big thanks to my wife for holding the brakes and maneuvering the truck while I was outside winching it down off of the obstacle. She flipped a little bit when it was teeter tottering on 2 wheels.

Will post some pics tomorrow, oh and if anyone else has some pics of the carnage post them as well so I can pull them and stick them in my photo album

James

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Johns Perches
    [​IMG]
    New perches mounted, without Zero Rates and Now I have a level butt.
    [​IMG]
    I will snap some of the shaft tomorrow.

Note to self: NOT TOO MUCH SKINNY PEDAL NEXT TIME, but its just so hard..........not to.

Last edited: May 2, 2005
  9. sapper

Glad you made it home, i put the keys and card in the sedona yesterday by the console, lightly covered up with other things.

10. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

James, after hearing your story...I had a great weekend ;)
    Could be worse for you though. You could have drove all the way to Tellico for 15 minutes...ugh
    John can be kind of handy to have around. I think he can stay :D

11. 79Stomper

AMEN BROTHER. You know, I sit here and think about the times that I see people helping people on the trail and hear stories of it all the time. Complete strangers and friends helping out on the trail and in the camp. If you need a part and don't have, most times you usually don't have to ask since someone offers. This is one of the few activities that you see this kind of relationship. Man I LOVE THIS SPORT.

12. nvrenuf

Man, I hate to hear about all the breakage but on a more positive note, it sounds like the motor is making lots of power now. :cool1: :woot:

13. 79Stomper

That it is doing. I was cruising home last night on the interstate running around 75-80 or so and I had alot more to go til I hit the redline.

14. nvrenuf

Did you have the spare carrier on it? It's hard to tell in the pics but I don't think it's there. If you did, does it bother you while wheeling?

15. 79Stomper

Yeah I had the carrier on and doesn't affect me one bit while on the trail. At one point I think I was resting on it, then to get on the trailer when the battery was dieing, John gave me a little shove using the carrier. Barely scratched the paint on it. Every corner of my bumper was snatched on to maneuver me down the trail and all the armor held up fine.

16. nvrenuf

That's great news! While I love mine and have not changed my mind about using it, I've been wondering if it would hamper manuverability or vision on the trail.

I love pics like this, when I'm done I definitely want to try to get up there and wheel with you guys.

[​IMG]

(hijack - James, how long will you be gone? - /hijack)

17. clarkjw24

Well it was an interesting weekend. I'm glad I didn't break anything when I was trying to snatch the stomper up those hills. After a few wheelie stands and some 42"tsl smoke I wasn't too sure that either of us would get off of that mountain, but we did. I definatelty got a chance to warm the tires this weekend with the rock burnouts and the 90 mile trip home. I'm just glad that I had brought the gooseneck and my rig was semi streetable. James was so kind to accompany me with the bouncey and somewhat cool ride home in the rig while his family chilled in the crew cab ps. :grin:

So when are we gonna do it again? :xmas:

18. nvrenuf

Any video?

19. clarkjw24

I think Rob had some video from the first two runs that morning.

20. clarkjw24

Ahh, thanks Bryan you're so sweet. I think I will hang around. :xmas:
    PS I really could have used some sliders this weekend. Kinda banged my door rockers up alittle. :blush: Also I'm going to look into some of those removable tractor weights to help keep the front down when pulling a load. I thought wheelies would be fun in the K5 but after this weekend I know better.