Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back from Uwharrie

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by 87BrnRsd, Aug 9, 2004.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Well, we got back from Uwharrie last night at about 10. The weather was perfect and the trails were very busy and very dusty. Me and elliott went and my neighbor went in his xterra on 32's. It was his frist time in the rocks so we took him on the easier trails. We did wolf den, swamill, and rocky mountain loop. We actually had a pretty light day of wheeling. No damages. I did manage to scrape my bumper a little on what we call "rubicon rock" after we saw a wrnagler rubicon kill itslef on the rock. Elliott managed to keep the tires full of air on the trails. When we got off the trail and back on the gravel road on the way back to eldorado I hear a pss, psss, pss, psssssssssss sound. Turns out that elliott hit a piece of metal in the road and managed to get the same rear drivers side tire flat. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif None of our phones had service and it was about 6:30 sunday evening. Elliott had a spare this time, but it was just a tire and wasnt mounted on a rim. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif I went up to eldorado to call AAA, and somehow managed to meet a guy up there who said he would put elliotts spare on the rim for us for $35. He went back to his house, got his towtruck (did I mention he works for a tire repair service who fixes flat tires on logging trucks), and fixed us up in no time flat. Someone working at eldorado outpost told me that he gave me a very very discounted rate of $35 to change the tire and suggested tipping him well. We tried to tip him but he wouldnt accept the money. He gave us some of his business cards and told us to pass them out to our friends. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Anyways, the trip was great accept for elliotts second flat in a row. One of the guys who went with us snapped some pictures, so if/when i get them ill post some up.
    -Harrison

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

$35 to change a tire? Only as an absolute last resort. That's just nutty

3. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Actually, he only charged $10 to change the tire. The other $25 was the standard fee that his company charged to start the towtruck and bring it out there. When one of my friends got a bobcat stuck in a creek in his backyard, the towtruck company charged a fee of $125 just to start the truck and bring it out there. If you have ever been towed, part of the fee comes from starting the truck and driving it out there.
    -Harrison

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Oh, and I forgot to mention that when I met him at the store, he wasnt even on duty. He was actually with his son, and they were buying ice cream for the family. Its kind of hard to find a guy who will do that on a sunday evening at 7, and in a town that is so small that when i was on the phone with AAA, the woman couldnt locate the town, and couldnt even find a driver who would come out that way.
    -Harrison

5. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

whats with your brother and that tire /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif no new dents /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I guess the third time will be it when he will have a spare tire and rim /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Great guy that you met to do that for you on a Sunday. We met some great people last time we were there with the NC Jeepers. I am getting closer to tracking that video down of my axle tube on the rock.

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Surprisingly, he managed to escape the trails with no new dents. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    -Harrison

8. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

HAHA When we went to that spot, I got out and showed my neighbor in the xterra the rock with the big metal scrape mark on top. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    -Harrison

9. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I forgot to type this earlier but when we got elliotts tire back on and were at eldorado filling our tires with air, and 88 chevy truck came coasting in the parking lot. It wasnt running and every time the guy tried to start it, it made a god awful grinding noise. Turns out, it was a bone stock 88 2wd chevy truck with a new engine and tranny. The guy said he was doing 40 down the trails when he managed to hit a rather large rock. Upon inspection of the truck we found out why it didnt run. The front bumper was busted, then underneath the swaybar was bashed, the flexplate cover was smashed up into the flexplate so it couldnt turn, the exhaust was smashed, and there was a gaping hole in the bottom of the oil pan. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif The hole was big enough to make all of the oil drain out of the pan in about 1 minute. I dont know how, but he managed to get back onto 109, the truck cut off before eldorado and he coasted it in to eldorado. It had street tires on it, and the back tire (open diff) was so roasted from burnouts that there wasnt any rubber left on it. It was down to the steel core, and even that was all mangled like he had been burning out on it. Him and his 3 friends didnt have a ride home, so we let them hop in with us. Their house was actually towards greensboro off 109, and only ended up being maybe 2 miles out of our way. Anyways, we pushed the truck into a praking space and there it sits. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif
    BTW- He told me its for sale for $500 to anyone who wants it. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    -Harrison