Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back from vacation and my dogs' latest kill...*PIC ADDED*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by shewheeler, Aug 29, 2005.

1. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Been gone for a week and when I got home, I was not so pleasantly surprised to find out that my dogs had killed a skunk :yikes: Thank goodness I wasn't here for the carnage, but the aftermath is quite stinky :doah:

I think my big dog is the one that did most of the killin' because he has skunk breath big time and is pretty stinky.

Best way to deskunk a dog? He's not THAT bad overall, but his breath is horrendous :crazy:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2005
  2. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

sweet! no pics??

got tomato juice? :doah:
    brush his teeth.

3. shewheeler

My friend that was staying here took a pic with his digicam, but is pretty much a computertard so I'm not sure I will ever actually get it. Pretty big skunk tho -- apparently the entire neighborhood has been enjoying the aroma ;)

I have heard about the tomato juice and if all else fails, I will probably try it. Just wondering if anyone knew of a little less messy way of getting rid of the smell.

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i heard that TIDE works well
    or is that if you get stuck in posion oak
    i cant rember
    but my dog got sprayed buy a skunk, and than rubbed herself all over the side of the house trying to get the smell off, made the house stink pretty bad
    my mom used laundry detgent on the house to lessen the smell

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I grew up on a farm and our dog was always killing skunks. Luckily she was an outside only type dog. Mom tried the tomato juice once and I remember the dog smelling like skunk with a hint of tomato juice afterwards. :rolleyes: I think we had to just let it wear off. Don't remember the breath being a problem.

One time the dog figured out a good clean method. We were unstacking irrigation pipes and came across a whole nest of 'em. The dog ran in and started pulling them out. She would run into a big puddle and basically drown them. She didn't get quite so skunky that time.

I guess our dog must have really hated them skunks.

6. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

id be carefull about using soap on em, most dogs skins are eal sensivive. might dryem out and cause hot spots n stuff. that is why i always soaked em in tomato, wont dry em out. febreze? :D

7. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Got this from a local vet and it worked for me. Douche, douche, douche. Vinegar and water was recommended to me. Supposedly it is the vinegar that helps so I dont know why getting some vinegar and water mix together yourself wouldn't work. Tomato juice never worked for me although I know others who swear by it.

8. shewheeler

Found a recipe on several sites -- baking soda, peroxide and liquid soap.

More info here

Send the BF out for some doggie mints and toothpaste. Hopefully, that will help with the breath problem :waytogo:

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Stinky situation...

We have several skunks nosing around my yard for grubs every night,and often they will spray if the stray cats bother them..I hate that!--its so strong it smells like they are in the house with you!..

I think "Mythbusters" did a segment on their show about what works best to "De Skunk" something..but I forget what worked the best..I think tomato juice was "busted" though.if I remember right...maybe the discovery channel website has the show and its results listed??... :crazy: I'd like to find something that works too..only thing that seems to help so far is a lot of rain followed by several hot dry days..it lingers forever if its damp or humid.. :doah: :crazy:

10. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Just had my dog skunked last week, tomato juice worked pretty well but we took her to the groomer (first time ever in 7 years) and they had some stuff from Petsmart that seemed to work even better than the juice.

11. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yah go to a petstore to get some stuff there. I have been skunked before and tomatoe juice DOES NOT WORK at least if you were in the direct path. I went to the pet store and got some of the stuff that they say works on your pets and it worked on me

12. shewheeler

AH HA!!!

[​IMG] :woot:

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

a good friend of mine traps and removes animals from house for a living, with his grandfather.
    he has been sprayed several time, tomato juice does NOTHING, he said 4 or 5 of the hottest showers you can stand will get it out and lots of soap!

another friend who is a peramedic (and has found quite a few smelly things if you get my drift) says to boil instant coffie or just coffie grounds on the stove in a pot to get rid of a bad smell in the house.

that works good. i think the coffie absorbe the smell of dead people, maybe wash the dog in hot coffie?

14. shewheeler

The smell is almost gone from the house now thanks to a nice breeze and lots of candles last night.

My dogis a big enough spaz as it is... I don't think I would want to see him with a caffeine buzz :doah:

15. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

now that would be funny, come on tape it and upload the vid

16. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

well i could not help here.but i did learn somthing.tomato juice don't work. thannks shewheeler.hey dave , i think we have a new one to use at work. I SMELL DEAD PEOPLE. sweet. :haha:

17. diesel4me

There's a skunk in my yard right now....

I can smell a skunk!-I looked outside--its eating the cat food on my back porch the strays didn't finish! :mad: --wish I had an M-80!. :doah: .I'd smell it one last time!.. I HATE those skunks!.. :angry1: --if I get sprayed,I have no one to go get the "stink remover" for me! :yikes: :1zhelp:

18. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I thought that you wanted to get rid of the strays why are you feeding them and the skunks :confused:

19. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

coffe does work too, but not to keen on that for the dog- not to mention if ure dog is white (like mine) would tan em like leather

i dont understand those that are saying tomato juice no workie. i have used it, although i forgot to mention i put some tomato paste in it to make it a little thicker and let it soak in for a while. but i promice it does work.

the natures maricle pee remover works real well so im shure thier skunk stuff will to. prolly wont turn u mutt into different colors too :D

20. diesel4me

I'd love to get rid of them...

It's my mother who feeds those stray cats!..I DO want to get rid of them!.(she does too,but she keeps feeding them, :screwy: and we cant catch them,to get them spayed,nor can we afford too--yet she cries every time we try to get rid of them!).--my neice drove 60 miles down here sunday to try and catch a few for her mother in law,who wants a cat..chased them in circles for 2 hours..couldn't catch even one of the pests!...I dont know how I'm going to get rid of them--catching them is impossible,they wont go in a trap or cat carrier,even when "baited" with sardines and cat food...

After my mom passes away,I'll probably have to either shoot them(not really feasable--they rarely go 500 feet from the house,and I dont own a gun)..OR I could have my friend bring 2 of his Rotwielders over for a snack :whistle: --hate to do that-- :( I love animals,stray or otherwise..but theese cats have already made an enemy of one neighbor,and the guy next door is really anal about his lawn and yard,and I'm very suprised he's not said anything about them yet..but I bet he wont remain silent much longer!)..Another one of life's daily dilema's.... :rolleyes: :crazy: