Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back in Colorado

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I made it back to Colorado yesterday. 2 days and 1000 miles later I am back. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif My truck made to voyage with only 1 minor problem. My fuel pump is taking a dump on me. I can't give it much right foot without it wanting to die. But I can't bitch. My truck is here under its own power. It died on the side of the road outside Pueblo but with a little 87 octane inspiration directly into the carb it fired back up and I limped it up to Fort Collins and to my new home. Its good to be back.

Harley

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Welcome back to Colorado.. If you are ever around Limon look me up...
    John

3. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear the trip wasn't to bad, Welcome back by the way.

Eric

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Glad to here you are back in town /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif If you want I can hook you up with a new fuel pump...Just let me know...I work Friday actully and we most likely have it in stock...let me know man...unless you get a new one from GM

Chris

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I would change the fuel filter before messing with the pump. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. Hossbaby50

I did change the filter yesterday and my truck is running fine now. (except for the whole not set for altitude thing). I don't think it was just the filter though. I blew threw the old filter and it wasn't very restricted. So now what?

Truck runs fine now. Can fuel pumps loose pressure when they are hot and then regain that presure when they cool off? I drove my truck around town yesterday after changing the filter and after it had a night to cool off and it ran fine. Is it just possibly something with running for so long on the trip up. It didn't start having problems until about the 6th hour of the second day of the trip. (8 hours the first, 8 the second.) Could it have been trying to vapor lock?

I noticed the first signs after stopping for lunch and I sat in a parking lot while dad filled up with gas. (my truck idling). Then when it died it sat in a parking lot at a rest stop idling for 8-10 minutes. Then as I tried to get on the freeway again it died. When I was waiting the first time i noticed it tried to cut out when I hit about 3500 RPM on the on ramp to the freeway, but when I shifted gears it was fine. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Harley

7. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sounds like vapor lock but the weather dosent back it. what size fuel pump i had a simalur problem bout a yera ago the only thing is it was a new pump except when i bout i didnt think to make sure it wasnt a high proformance model that being it caused the fuel to boil before it got to the carb it only happened when it idled for long periods of time just a thought oh yeah i put a diff pump i had im my box as an extra and had no problems . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

See I had a VERY simmular thing happen on BOTH my trucks. Crud in the tank got sucked up and was restricting the flow into the carb. Basicly under hard throttle or High RPM the float bowl was not being filled as fast as the truck was using it. You may have got a bad tank of fuel. I replace fuel filters on the carbs about every second olil change now as a result. Old truck lots of rust in the tank.

9. Hossbaby50

My difference is between your filter and mine. I don't have the filter in the carb anymore. The mechanic at a local speed shop stripped the threads on the carb body. It would loosen itself and start to leak fuel. So my other (trusted) mechanic sealed off the old filter area and moved the filter to just outside my gas tank. Now I have a much larger filter that I only replaced 6 months ago (2-3 oil changes). When I pulled the old filter out it still seemed to flow ok. I have had a similar problem to this a couple of times, but that was back in Arizona when it was 110* outside and I sat and idled in a drive threw or something. I would let the truck sit for 20 minutes and it would fire right up. True vapor lock which wasn't a real surprise at that temp.

I don't know what genius at GM routed the hard fuel line right next to the engine block under all the accessories, but he needs to be beaten repeatedly.

Does anyone know who cares those fuel pressure gauges that go inline with the fuel line and are meant to be perminent? I am think about one of those so I can read pressure any time I want. Thanks

Harley