Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

back pain, youch!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jekbrown, Oct 14, 2006.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

came out of the bedroom to watch TV this evening when I got a pretty sudden and nasty pain in my back... just inside of my right shoulder blade. Hard to locate exactly, but pretty much half way between the shoulder blade and the spine itself is where it seems to be centered.

It didn't feel good at all... and its kinda hard to tell what motion of my body makes it better or worse. All I know is it hurts more that pretty much every pain I have had save kidney stones. Anyone else had something like this? I don't know chit about back problems... never had one. What do the various problems tend to feel like? pinched nerve? ****ed up disc? I dunno... all I know is I could hardly stand up from the couch. bad times! :(

j

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Away from the spine is most likely muscular. Do yourself a favor and go see a doctor asap anyway. I waited and got a special treat all the way down to my foot.:doah:

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Could be anything. I was in the shower once and out of the blue my sciatic never kicked in and I literally fell out of the shower onto the floor tearing down the shower curtain in the process I was in serious pain. I went to the Doc and they gave me some meds that did little to help and I ended up missing a weeks worth of work.
    After that I found a real good chiropractor who used a thompson terminal point table. When ever I had a problem I would just go to him and it would get fixed.

4. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

Could be anything. If you didn't do anything, move the wrong way or anything else, I'd call urgent care or an on call doctor immediately. I've seen some writings where heart problems first show up with weird pains like you are describing.

Hope its not and its just a pulled muscle, but I wouldn't question it too long.

5. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Get on down to the local Asian massage parlor.........

6. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

When I played football in highschool I tweaked my back in a game.

Doc told me to find a crossbeam in the basement of my house and hang from it for 20-30 mins.

That advice has taken care of pretty much any back pain i've ever had since.

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to getting old.....

8. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

9. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

sounds like an aggravated nerve to me, happens to me every once in a while... and im not yet old....

10. jekbrown

well, things have gotten better all day today. It still bothers me on ocassion, but things appear to be on the up and up. My wife suggested that it might be an injury that resulted from sex... so we went at it again today just to rule that out. :grin: :thumb:

j

11. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Nothing like getting to the root of the problem...........

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Orphen is great for muscle pain, especially the back.

13. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

That high up is VERY Rarely disc. I pull that muscle occasionally myself. Hurts like hell. Sometimes I can feel just a little pain there a week or two later. I believe it attaches spine to scapula. Almost all disc injury occurs in the Sacral thru lumbar (S1 thru L3 mostly) and cervical spine. Very rarely thoracic spine. Sometimes the littlest movement will pull mine. I mostly take ibuprofen (advil, motrin etc). As a nurse I can't recommend you not see a doctor. That's up to you. That said, there's little emergency even to a disc injury most of the time. (I've had 5 so far! Damn right leg is still numb!) Hope that helps.

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

my life every day...

I have a double curve in my spine (Scoliosis)--it sucks,I have pain every day,and have tried exercise,pills,even had a series of injections in my spine of steriods to try easing the pain..nothing seems to help much,or for very long..one of my legs is about 1" shorter than the other,and that aggravates the condition..

It gets much worse after any strenuous activity..like today,I spent all day yesterday crouched under a CJ-7 at my friends used car lot,trying to weld patches on its rear frame rails--( it was like making chicken soup from chicken POOP!-its mint as far as the body tub--the frame looked like it sat at the bottom of the atlantic the past 5 years,and is pretty much toast!)..now I feel like I was hit by a bus..it'll be days before I get back to near "normal",when I can walk and sit without too much pain..but I needed the money,so I have to do whatever I can to earn it..

Be glad your "back attack" was only a brief one..having it become a chronic condition is the pits..sounds like you had a muscle pull--mine are wasted on one side,the other is normal--it twists all the internal organs on one side and kind of crushes them,and it eventually leads to heart,digestion, and lung troubles--all of which I've had issues with already!..yes,getting old does SUCK.....:crazy:

15. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

:eek1: Thats just way to much info ! If it's still giving you some issues I have a few extra pills that will stop the pain and make you sleep very soundly . I take 1 and I'm somewhat groggy the next morning . Hope it gets better . Back pain sucks .

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Well I can see I need add nothing to this thread...

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Me too.

18. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

19. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

Im with 84k5, I think its muscular also. I have scoliosis or curvature of the spine and I have those kinds of pains all the time. have gotton used to it over the years. I also have a alot more then normal arch forward, or hunch back. my muscles in my back are stretched from the shape of my spine. my lower back has compensated for the hunch in my upper back so my lower back is curved the oppisit direction to upright me. my back looks like an "S" from a side profile.

yes you might have a pinched nerve but I would bet not. take a hot shower, let the water blast right at the pained spot to help loosen you up.

take it easy for a few days, no lifting or twisting of your back if you can help it. stretching GENTLY! will help loosen it up too. get your wifey poo to give you a back rub. not a deep tissue type rub but a soothing rub working the pained area to help get the muscles relaxed. hope that helps.

I have had back pain since I was 5 yr old. I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age five. I was wearing a complete torso back brace by age 11. aint back pain fun!

20. jekbrown

yeppers... things are definitely better. I'm almost 100% again. Weird thing is, when I breathe in really deep, I can feel the same pain in the same spot. :confused: Oh well... guess I shouldn't complain about it compared to what some of you guys have had to suck up. doh!

AFA the happy pills go, I'm set... years of kidney stones = tons of perscription bottles. ;)

j