Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

back pressure

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by biltntboght, Feb 22, 2002.

1. biltntboght

biltntboght Registered Member

I am putting a new exhaust system on my 6.2 blazer and wondered if I can use mufflers from a farm tractor. I was told that I had to have back preesure or I would warp the valves. I thought only a gas engine needed back pressure. I know my tractor basically has a straight pipe muffler and I thought my Blazer would sound awesome with tractor pipes. So ...is it true about back pressure or would any muffler do??

Thanks

Todd

As you travel on thru life whatever be your goal keep you eye upon the donut not upon the hole

2. Oblin Goblin

Oblin Goblin 1/2 ton status

You don't need back pressure. I've never heard of anyone warping the valves for any reason, let alone because they didn't have enough back pressure. I would only be concerned about creating too much back pressure, so make sure the pipe diameter is big enough, say at least 2" if your running duals and at least 3" for a single pipe.

3. calcide

calcide 1/2 ton status

I've heard it was possible to warp a valve if your exhaust system is too short. Cool air could get to the hot valve after you turn the engine off and make it unhappy. I would only worry about this if I was running open manifolds or no manifolds at all.

<font color=red>When in doubt, empty the magazine. </font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/calcide>http://www.geocities.com/calcide</a>
    1983 K5 Blazer Silverado, 6.2L Diesel