Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back to school, back to school...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Feb 7, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Pardon the long-winded story, but I feel the need to share...

Finally figured out why I've been kinda depressed the past few months -- I've been suffering from hate-my-job-itis and aviation withdrawal! I spent 11 years in aviation, both military and civilian, but after the fiasco at my last aviation employer, I decided I was burned out and needed to leave the industry and try something different.
    So I ended up with a job rebuilding heavy truck transmissions. Well, the work is neat, and I certainly learned a lot, but the workplace SUCKS! Calling the shop a greasepit is charitable... and for 2 hours after I come home, I blow nasty dirtclods out of my nose from all the sh*t in the air there. I haven't been happy, and the pay is only about 60% of what I made before, but it's a steady job, and I got it at a time when the local job market wasn't too hot.
    So I've been toiling along, doing a job I kinda liked in an environment I HATED, for not much money, and wondering why I was never really happy anymore :angry1: :angry1: :angry1: ... until the "light bulb" came on.
    So I finally did something about it. I went to see the admissions people at the Aviation Institute of Maintenance, and I decided today that I'm leaving my current job and going back to school (starting Feb. 22) to get my Airframe & Powerplant license from the FAA. Gonna get back into the aviation industry, which is where my heart still is (and probably always will be). It's gonna be a long 9 months as a fulltime student, working part-time after school and on weekends to keep the bills paid, but the payoff at the end of the road will be worth it.
    Of course this means my K5 build is on hold again, but I've got a donor truck to gut and sell off, so there'll be something for me to do in my rare moments of free time.

2. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Congradulations on going back to school man, few people do, also for knowing what you wanna do, im done with 2 years this may and still not sure if its where i will wanna be the rest of my life.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

At least you came to terms with it instead of spending another 10 years there. :waytogo: I'd go after that A&P and never look back.

Lot of people working jobs they hate just to make ends meet. In 9 months you can exit that category permanently.

4. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Man I HATE the Deftones

Oh, yeah, be happy, that's what it's all about

5. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I'm in school also, for the same thing I'll get it in 20 months. the A&P certificate is one of the most prized "permits" a person can get! If your mechanically inclined at all you'll love this (cept the trigonomitry) need help let me know!:)

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Congrats on isolating the problem and doing something about it. You'll do well :waytogo: