Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

back to watercooling

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Jun 2, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[​IMG]

No not my present setup, an old one. I'm going back to it. Picking up my radiator and a pump from a buddy. Within a week or two I should have a setup up and running again. Need a new case though. Tired of the fan noise, and my CPU is idling at 114F(barely goes up under load though). I miss the days of being at like 90F under heavy load in a hot room.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Are you just doing it for noise? Any OCing?

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you overclocking? Why? What games etc....?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

at the moment no ocing. I have always OCed just for the hell of it. My AIM screenname is AMD561 because thats what I had at the time. I had an AMD 500 clocked at 561. I like to get all I can out of my stuff. I need new RAM and maybe a new HD to OC, so for now its just noise.

5. Resurrection_Joe

You think getting 1998 out of an 1800 is pretty good?

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

not especially, good but nothing heavily impressive. few hundred mhz is about standard these days. Back in the day 50mhz or 100 was awesome. I've heard people getting my chip up to about 2300 or 2400, I hope to be one of those people(AMD 64 2GHz).

My previous setup before this PC was an Athlon XP(1800) I ran at 2k right out of the box ;).

Something wrong with my present setup, if I OC it even 1mhz it just locks up and won't boot to windows. If I change the wrong BIOS options it does it too. I'll figure it out, made some mistakes in building this setup but I'll live with it. Debating on whether to watercool the video car at the sametime. Likely just add some air cooling and heatsinks to the ram and oc it a little.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Nya Nya, Ok

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

what is overclocking?

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Making the chip operate faster than it's out-of-the-box intended to. If you buy a 2ghz chip and stick it in a mother board that allows you to adjust voltages, frequencies, bus multipliers/freq's, etc, you can force the chip to run at different speeds. Sometimes it can roast your chip, but I never experienced that when I was doing it, just no-boot symptoms when I messed up.

I used to overclock way back in "the day" when you could push a 100mhz to 200mhz, or something like that, but I've lost interest in it. The smaller proportional gains aren't that cool to me anymore.

The watercool setup looks pretty neat, it would be sweet to run with no fan noise. Especially in my office right now, where my head starts buzzing after 2 hours next a server ran...

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright I see, thanks Ratch :)

11. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Overclocking is basically like supercharing your computers proccessor - you're force-feeding it to produce more power than the manufacturer recommended/designed it for.

I was into overclocking back in the day.... i had a 366 Celeron running stable and under 110degF at 550mhz w/out water cooling (a HUGE cpu heatsink w/ an enormous fan and a small window fan from wal mart oscillating into the open case.) At the time, the highest available processor was a Pentium 2-450mhz, so it was the awe of all my geek friends.... :D

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

So to overclock, I'd have to have a motherboard that let me adjust it?

Do a lot of people overclock there computers? Just to make it run faster, or what is the purpose?
    Thanks

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hell a can of ignition water proofing and stick it in the frezzer!!!!

saw a chart once on temp to performance i think it was like -200* = 800% performance increase!!

for me what ever, if i can play a game or two and surf ck5 good enuff!

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

true the colder things are the better they run(less heat = less resistance in the circuits) but thats not much of a factor really.

15. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

16. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Overclocking is pretty hard to do now a days, ever since the xp2000+ and some of the barton core chips. AMD Locks these things down, if you clock it higher then you should it simply will not post or lock up your system. There are ways to get arround this such as the pencil lead mod, but processors are so fast now a days that there is no point. I gave up once I had my dual PIII 1.13 GHz machine. But now my barton 3000 out performs it hands down. Well In most games anyway, rendering in premier the dual P3's kicked ass. A few intels are locked as well not to sure I'm an amd fan boy. If you looking for an overclocking chip thats not a 64 based chip, the mobile xp bartons are sweet. Ive seen a 2500 crancked to 3.0ghz, and wow was it sweet.

17. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run my dual P3-550 (SuperMicro P6DBE) machine at 600MHz. Pretty much since then it's run with the processors at 110° and the case at 100°. It's been running this way for 5 years.

My dual P3-400 machine won't let me overclock it (Intel N440BX board) otherwise I'd probably run it at 450. It's just my FreeBSD machine anyway. It just sits there and smiles.

They both get rebooted about every five weeks... when the power goes out. They both run pretty hot, but katmai processors are known for that.

Once you go SMP you'll never go back. The only time a uniprocessor machine is nicer is when you're playing a game with a ****ty one-thread engine. Everything else out there is multithreaded and has scheduling so it's pretty fast. It's nice because I never experience crashes. You've always got the other processor to allow you to shut down the roque process.

I want to go SMP with a new P4 but... nobody seems to make an affordable (sub-$250) SMP board. Everyone is doing the stupid hyperthreading and dual core crap. The only other option is to go Xeon but even old Xeon boards are expensive.

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

nothing hard about OCing, its easier actually, less variables. Just get good ram and crank up the FSB speed and your good to go.