Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back Up your Computer....NOW!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mtnman210, Apr 12, 2007.

1. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

If you haven't done so recently. :angry1::angry1::angry1::angry1::angry1::angry1::angry1: I'm very meticulous about running virus scans, system clean ups, etc.... so my computer is usually maintained pretty well. The last couple of weeks it's been running kinda funny so I was getting to think maybe I should back everything up. Yesterday in the middle of working **blink** the whole thing shut off. Couldn't get it to boot again and I tried everything. I finally pulled the hard drive and put it in another computer and ran it. The whole thing was very touchy and reset alot but I could get some of the info off of it. Luckily I got my important work and most importantly I got all my pictures. I have thousands of songs on another drive that I haven't tried yet that I'm hoping wasn't affected by this mess. The only thing I completely lost was all my bookmarks. That kinda bugged me until I thought about it and realized loosing those was better than loosing pictures.

I don't know what happened yet. I may just try to format and start over but if the mother board is going to, I guess it's time for an upgrade:D. The whole thing still sucks though:doah:

anyways IF YOU HAVEN'T BACKED-UP YOUR COMPUTER TO CD'S, DVD'S, OR WHATEVER, THEN DO IT TODAY!!!

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm nuerotic about backing up... I have hard copies, and redundant drives that syncronize nightly. My work laptop backs up work stuff and personal stuff to a server at home whenever I log on there, and work stuff to a work server when I log on at work. My home machines sync to a server at home, and every now and then I burn DVD's of the backups.

But don't forget, online backups can be easily toasted by a virus and disastrous user-error. It's a good idea to always have a hard read-only copy (CD/DVD) of important stuff in addition to any online copy (such as a server or hard drive copy)

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You need to protect yourself man...

[​IMG]

4. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I really don't think it was a virus. I think that something started to fail when I first noticed it and then finally bit the big one when it completly died. The components are all about 5 years old and the hard drives are atleast 7

5. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

Thats too cool :haha::haha::haha::bow::bow::bow:

6. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I used to have alot of faith in DVD-Rs for backing stuff up, but then I put a bunch of files on a Phillips DVD-R six months ago and when I went to copy them off recently several of the files had CRC errors and wouldn't copy off. Rather irritating. On the other hand, while cleaning I found an old 250mb tape from my Colorado backpack tape drive. Further cleaning revealed the drive itself. Hooked it up, tracking down DOS drivers for it and tried to read it and had 0 problems reading/restoring anything from it, even though I made it probably 10 years or more ago hehe.

It convinced me to buy a tape drive for backups now. Not fast but seems pretty darned reliable.

7. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I just went through this when my hard drive crapped out for the 2nd time in less than a year.

I bought a 300 gb Maxtor one-touch external drive that I use for backups now. Pissed me off because I lost a bunch of music (that I actually paid for) and some pictures.

8. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I have redundant backup, an internal and an external HDD