Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back way to Crown King

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BadDog, Feb 2, 2004.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

The wife is off next Saturday. I tried to get her to go out with me in the buggy, but she doesn’t want to do that. Years ago we went to Crown King "the back way" (going up from Lake Pleasant) and she wants to do it again. Problem is, I followed someone, it was only one trip, and it was years ago. I don't remember the way. Anyone want to go the Saturday that knows the way? How about directions?

Question 2, will it be snowed in? Going up the cliff face could be gnarly in the ice, and my wife is deathly afraid of hights anyway...

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Supposed to get a big storm in tomorrow. 3-8" of snow with the snow level at 3500 feet. that trail would probably iced up and snowed up for the last 5 miles. I would definitly like to run that trail again. I was going to run it with them last summer, but the 700r4 went out on the freeway on my way out there. I really want to trailride that trail again.

If you want to postpone it a few weeks the weather might be better and I would be more ready. it is a long trail, but it is scenic and fun.

Harley

3. Hossbaby50

P.S. I probably could find that trail again if I need to. I led the last time I went up there.

4. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I wanna go!! I wanna go!! I've been wantin to do that run for years. I don't know from nuthin but is it really high enough to get a goodly amount of snow? Anyway, I have to talk to Jenn but I think she'd be up for it. Talk to y'all soon and good luck.

Allan

5. justhorsinaround

Oooo. Also we're thinkin about buyin a GPS that has all kinds of 4 wheel drive trails stored in it including this one. Now back to your regularly scheduled program. Good luck to y'all.

Allan

6. BadDog

Yes, elevation there is something like 6000 feet IIRC. And the last 1000 vertical feet gained is on an old railroad narrow cutback into the side of an 80* bluff. At least that's how I remember it. Scared my wife silly then.

As for postponing, yeah, I guess we will have to. I'm not crazy about taking on that bluff with ice. Too dangerous. But, the wife is very rarely off on the week end, and even more rarely interested in "going out wheeling". Any other suggestions for a "day run" with scenic trails and moderate difficulty (I'll be taking the K5, 350TBI/700R4/241/D60/C14/4.56/Locked both ends/35" BFG AT/KO). She doesn't like the buggy, she says I scare her in it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. Hossbaby50

definitly high enough to get some decent snow. When I ran the trail the lower half was all muddy from rain. that was fun, but kinda sucked too. Trying that trail in ice and snow would suck a big one. One slip up on a hillside and it would be really ugly. You wouldn't need to call the EMS, it would be the coroner.

In decent weather it is a fun trail in a truck that is mostly stock. A little challenge here and there and great views. Not to mention a good burger and a smooth beer at the end of the trail. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. BadDog

Oh! And there is also an old ruin up there called "Indian Fort". Indian Fort is by far my favorite part of the trip, but there is also an authentic "ghost town" at the foot of the bluff, an old dam that has back filled, some old cabins... pretty cool.

Edit: The town at the foot is called "Oro Belle" and was the original mining town.

9. justhorsinaround

I don't know if you'd be interested but there is a place that Jenn has been wantin to go to. It's an old observatory built by the Smithsonian a long time ago. The idea was tossed around a while back and was dropped cuz it's kind of a drive to get to. She asked me again yesterday if we could go so I thought I'd throw it back out again. Here's the links to the description. http://azwww.az.blm.gov/ohv/harq.htm
    http://www.az.blm.gov/pfo/harqc.htm Good luck to y'all.

Allan

10. BadDog

That might work. But it might be better in the spring when things bloom out (according to the description).

11. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Russ, is she off the 7th or the 14th. If the 14th would be interested in a day trip to the observatory. A heep owner at work said it was a good drive and scenic.

12. BadDog

Sorry, it's the 7th.

13. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Makin me homesic russ....i know that trail like the back of my hand....grr. Used to spend way to much time in that area in my pre CK5 days searching for that yellow metal...

DW

14. BadDog

How much of the 2 billion in gold that the references claim did you take out of there? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

15. Jays Beast

Jays Beast 1/2 ton status

Next time /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know if you'd be interested but there is a place that Jenn has been wantin to go to. It's an old observatory built by the Smithsonian a long time ago. The idea was tossed around a while back and was dropped cuz it's kind of a drive to get to. She asked me again yesterday if we could go so I thought I'd throw it back out again. Here's the links to the description. http://azwww.az.blm.gov/ohv/harq.htm
    http://www.az.blm.gov/pfo/harqc.htm Good luck to y'all.Allan

[/ QUOTE ]

In December we took up 7 or 8 trucks to the Smithsonian Observatory. Its a real nice trip for a family. Educational too. They have restrooms at the trailhead and there is a picnic table up top. It is state maintained.

17. 87GMCJimmy

87GMCJimmy 1/2 ton status

There's fire road 42 out by bartlette lake. Fairly easy with some views. You end up down by the verde river. I haven't been out there in years so I don't know the condition of the road. Could be fun.

Mike

18. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I do bartlett lake a lot and always wanted to run FR42 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

FR42 is a fun, fairly easy trail with great scenery. Lots of washouts and hills but no rocks. Im going to run it in the near future to check for fender clearance and make sure everything holds together, its a great tester trail.

20. solazk5

solazk5 Registered Member

K5 NUTT who found all those nuggets /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif