Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back window exchange...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kia, Dec 11, 2002.

1. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Is it possible to change the none opening back windows on the '89 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif to some that opens from a '79 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif?

I want to put in windows that the rear passengers can open. I have found two breaking so gonna see what else I need.

Kia. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yes they are interchangable from 76-91

3. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Oh cool! would I need anything special to do the job? New rubber, new tools?

Kia.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

In the middle of the bottom half of the rubber seal is a steel 'clip' for lack of a better description. Pull the clip and then you can pull out the rubber 'rope' that goes all around the glass. It's a rubber piece that keeps the rubber seal secure around the glass. Once the smaller rubber 'rope' has been pulled out the glass can be worked out of the seal. Do not use a steel screw driver...a hard wood dowel shaped like a flat screw driver on one end would be better. Install is reverse...but coat the rubber seal with some dish soap to keep from tearing it. It's also best to have a helping hand for obvious reasons.

Rene

5. Kia

Kia 1/2 ton status

Don't sound too hard /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Would I need to replace anything? like the 'rope' or even the rubber?

Kia.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but just make sure you want these things.

I put a pair on my truck because I thought they were cool, but with the electric rear window, and actual frequency of rear seat passengers being very low, I didn't. (open up the door windows, roll down the back glass when cruising, and your set) I took them out. I'd rather replace one "common" piece of glass if it gets broken than one of the 3 that the rear slider uses.

Obviously your situation will dictate if they are practical or not, but they are sometimes very pricey, have quite a few pieces of weatherstripping to fail (which likely will have by this time), the vent windows are not "adjustable" once they get loose (steel screws into aluminum will do that) and the "locks" are pieces of junk, even though you can replace them.