Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back window wont go down.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Trigger, May 28, 2003.

1. Trigger

Trigger Registered Member

Where can I find a good wiring diagram? My Chilton's does seem to show what/where the wiring is located. Starting to think I shouldnt have bought.

Also my windows on my doors wont go up nor down very easily. They are power windows. Did any of you have this problem and if so, how can I fix this problem?

I've got some wiring problems with this thing. My driver's side brake light and reverse light are on all the time except when I turn the key off.

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

heh man sounds like you have some of the same problems i had

my windows were sooooooo slow, i had to help them up and down with my hand, I finally said the hell with it and got some manual windows...

Not trying to question your intelligence, but did you check the fuse for the back window.. also the switch?

start small.... so you dont end up rewiring the damn thing and it turns out only to be a fuse.

3. tmaxxer9

tmaxxer9 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Also my windows on my doors wont go up nor down very easily. They are power windows. Did any of you have this problem and if so, how can I fix this problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

ok here is what you do. go get yourself a nice big hammer. ok you with me so far?? GOOD. then you go stand next to your vehicle. still with me or did that loose monkey wrench in your head get caught in one of the gears?? ok GOOD. now take a nice hard swing at the window. hello you still there?? GOOD. now go and try it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Pretty much every old truck w/ power windows does this. I would first check to see if the motors are getting a full 12 volts(the rear motors are more prone to low voltage due to the distance). The easiest way the work on the rear motor is as follows:
    1. open tailgate
    2. remove access panel
    3. push down on drivers side tailgate latch until it audibly clicks two(2) times(this tricks the tailgate into thinking that it's closed and allows you to operate the window)
    4. support the glass when you roll it out since it's pretty heavy, I use a upsidedown trashcan or two with a blanket thrown over them.

While your in there checking the power, grease up the felt tracks(window slides in these) and the regulator tracks(scissor lookin thing) which will help it move a little faster.

5. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Any idea where a person could find replacement felt track liners?

6. gumneck

gumneck Registered Member

LMC truck catalogs gots alot of stuff. Google up LMC truck and they'll send you free catalogs every month near about.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Tom

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah LMC has them

8. Trigger

I have looked for the fuse for the back window but I was not able to locate it. Where is it at?

9. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

heh no idea.... just check em all and replace any that are blown..... im sure one of them truck books have a fuse box Diagram on there.

10. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I was just having the same issue (in fact this thread inspired me to fix mine finally).

1.Do as Silver said and start pulling and checking fuses, if all are okay get out your handy little test light.
    2.Pull off the access panel and check for power at the motor, green/blue and tan wire going into the motor (takes a buddy to help, hit the key switch when checking or the dash switch or make them run and check both, my rear switch is bad but the dash switch worked). If no power start tracing your wires
    3.Standing facing the front of the truck on the left side there should be a wire loom coming out under the gate, green/blue and tan wire check if they are plugged in there. If so unplug and check the bottom side of the plug with your test ligh, have your buddy hit the switch again, remember to plug it back together. If no power then get under the hood and check.
    3.Under the hood facing the rear of the truck my wire came up under the brake booster. Thats where I had my problem was the plug was melted. You may need to scrape wires to see colors but the colors stay the same all the way up. Check for power there again with a buddy. No power could very well be a switch issue and this is where my knowledge ends and I agree with silver and go manual.

Good luck. As for your funky light situation I would say the problem sounds like it is at the rear where the wires are fed through the hole in the frame. Maybe the wire loom is missing and some of the wires are bare. Keep us posted if you get it fixed or not /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Trigger

Well I didn't find any fuses but I did find the wires to the motor wasn't hooked up. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Had to lube up the crank and everything in there to make the window go up and down easier.

12. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

Thats great it was something easy. I was dreading the worst and ready to switch over to manual but figured out it was just a melted plug.