Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Back window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Kman, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Kman

Kman Registered Member

Hey all you have been a great help.
    I have 1 more question for you, after a trip of about 200 mile aof packed snow (wash board type) my rear window does not roll up if i use the key in the tail gate to roll it down and up.
    It rolls down with a little bumping but it does not roll up unless you use the switch on the dash.
    I have the access panel off but you can't get to the key switch. How do you get to it with out taking the tail gate apart??

Thanks you in advance.

Kevin

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

You really can't but there is not much to it....4 7/16th bolts around the parameter of the window scissor assembly...behind that is two more nuts holding on the rear keyswitch assembly....the keyswitches are notorious(sp?) for going out...and i think a new one is around $10 and mine was $15 to have rekeyed to my door key.

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

You really can't but there is not much to it....4 7/16th bolts around the parameter of the window scissor assembly...behind that is two more nuts holding on the rear keyswitch assembly....the keyswitches are notorious(sp?) for going out...and i think a new one is around $10 and mine was $15 to have rekeyed to my door key.

What? You think the hole is too deep? Lemme see...
    1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

4. Kman

Kman Registered Member

Hey thanks for the response this site is great.
    As soon as i get some extra $$ ill jion. But right know i have broken down dodge, a jetski i have to have ported (more bottom end for 228lb 6'6" Dutch guy) much needed.

The window work if you jiggel the key so i think it is a lose wire but either way thank you, ill just buy the replacmet switch just in case.

Kevin

5. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

I don't know if this is the same problem but might be something to look at while you are working on it I had a similar problem due to the cut off switch getting bent. It would only let me roll-up the window from inside but not with the key. I had to bend it back in place and now it works fine. I figured this out the hard way after cutting some wires that didn't need to be. The cutoff switch is on the left side (driver's side). May want to check it out while you are there. I suppose mine got dry and got bent instead of going back and forth. Cleaned it up with WD-40 and it works fine now. LMC has a replacement part if you need it. Not sure about the GM dealers.

6. Kman

Kman Registered Member

O.K. the switch on the dash works fine.
    The trouble i have is once i roll down the window from the tail gate it will not roll up unless i use the tuggle switch on the dash.
    It worked fine until i went about 200 miles on paked/plowed snow (wash boarded type from plows).

Every thing else workks but the up. think it is just a lose wire will find out.

Kevin

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds to me like one of the contacts in the switch is bad. Take it apart and clean them.

I guess you could buy another one, but its my experience that its better to know how something works for later on down the road when it happens again, than just buying a whole new piece without understanding what may fail.

In any case, they are extremely simple inside, and so simple it is unlikely anything is actually broken. The key just turns a "lobe" that contacts a copper piece on either side, to power the motor for up or down. On top of that, the switch is easy to get apart as well.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?