Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

back window??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b laub, Oct 14, 2003.

1. b laub

b laub Registered Member

im putting a new window and sash in the back of my blazer and when i put the window in the holder piece it doesn't seem like its tight enough to hold it is there anyhting else like glue or somthin i should use thanks

89' k5

2. paveslave

paveslave Registered Member

You could try putting an adhesive/sealant such as silicon sealant or something similar (2 part sealant would hold better) that is flexible. This will also give the glass a small amount of cusioning.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

lemme guess, that's an LMC piece? (If not, it is probably made by the same factory in Thailand)

At least with the LMC/Thai piece, the clips that hold it in the channel are made out of the wrong material, and the lower edges of the seal are not wider than the top like the originals.

If that's an LMC piece, you may be able to get your money back. I contacted them about this when I got mine, talked to their research and developement people, and sent SAMPLES of a factory GM piece which highlighted the obvious problems with the LMC piece.

They were real forgiving at the time, and would have credited me the entire cost of it, but I thought they were going to work with me. In the end, I never received any callback, and when I called them, they acted like they'd never heard of me before. I don't mean a large company should know every customer, but that info should have been in their database, and they professed to not know anything about it.

I'd suggest silicone, but I doubt it will hold very well. There is also a coating (on the LMC piece) that flakes off, and that would probably leave the silicone in place, and the gasket still falling down. You can try spreading the clips further apart (they are supposed to dig into the topper) but the LMC clips were too soft, and even after being spread, did little to hold it in place. Just don't pull the clips out of the seal, you'll never get them back in.