Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

backfire through exhaust

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by scrappyk5, Sep 17, 2003.

1. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

sometimes when i go down the road , and the rpms are up ,
    but i have to let off the gas to coast , i will get a load backfire through the exhaust , what could that be ?
    it doesnt do it all the time /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

check for any exhaust leaks like at manifold-to-head pipes, or at any pipe seams/joints,

sometimes when raw unburned fuel getsignited int he exhaust system when theres an exhaust leak, even if its small and unnoticed, check carefully for leaks with engine running, have them welded. carb may be allowing too much fuel for y0our engne,.pull spark plugs and make sure they are light grayor tan andnot dark brown or black

3. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

sounds like the culprit with the exhaust leak. i think i
    have a very small one at the muffler. i will check the fuel/air mixture also. thanks

4. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

i've had it happen before if the timing was off a little, still started and ran fine, but wasnt getting a complete burn when the engine wasnt loaded..
    but i'll admit it mostly happens when i shut the engine off when its timing related, something else to check real quick though