Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

backfiring through TBI? or just bad shifts? help please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Jul 2, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Every once and a while my 95 makes what I used to think was a clunk but it did it today and it sounded more like a backfire through the TB. Sounded the same as when my k5 backfires through the carb I felt. It happened on the shift from first to second and this is when I ever hear it. I'm worried its coming from my trans(I have autos so much). The truck seemed liek it picked up pretty good, better than usual, then right after I had that thought it shifted and I heard it. Anyone have ideas?

2. Skroo

Skroo 1/2 ton status

Check your timing. If it doesn't help then check your trans.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

how do I do that on a TBI motor? I have never done it and I just slapped the light on it and at a steady idle of about 800 its jumping back and forth.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

There is a brown wire on the drivers side of the motor you disconnect. It is a quick connect and is only one wire. Pull it off, check/set timing, then plug it back it.

Dan

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not finding this wire. Maybe my 95 is different?

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I dont know if yours is different, but there should be a tan wire with a black stripe going dow it, comming off the bulkhead almost directly under the brake booster. It goes into a plug with another wire beside it. The plug is black with a green o-ring thing around it. Un hook the plug, check the timing, and hook it back up. I dont know about your truck, but I know thats how it is on my 87 because I just did it yesterday.
    -Harrison