Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Backfiring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by eshorvath, Jun 25, 2002.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Recently my Blazer started backfiring sometimes when the engine is rev'ed, from the tail pipe.

Any ideas about fixing this?
    ED

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What type of exhaust are you running? Carb? Intake? We need more details! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

3. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I am running stock exhaust. The Cat converter was remover before I got it. There is a small leak at the place they patched where they remover the Cat converter (Which may cause backfire) but it just started in the past couple days.
    Running stock carb too.
    I am planning on running dual exhaust with headers this summer, but want to finish fixing the other problems first.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    backfiring...from the tail pipe.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not "backfiring". Is it a bubbling, popping sound from the tailpipe? You might be drawing air in somewhere. The extra oxygen can fire a bit in the pipes and make annoying sounds. Maybe there is an exhaust leak? Do you have an A.I.R. pump, but no CAT? This can make this sound, since the extra air is only there to help the CAT work better.