Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Backfiring

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Dec 4, 2000.

My K5 is runnin like S*%#. In Park it idles just fine hit the accelerator and everything is OK. Put in gear and hit the accelerator and it runs like crap sputtering small exhaust backfires and just don't seem to want to go.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Could be a multitude of things from your description.

The first thing I would check would be the timing. If that seems ok, replace your Cap and Rotor .... you could have a hair-line crack in your distributor cap.

Good Luck ...........

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com

2. TxK5Blazer

TxK5Blazer 1/2 ton status

I have had the same problem with my 82 k5 and changed the cap and rotor and corrected the timing and it still does it. I even changed plugs and wires. what else could it be..Jason

One way to live on the edge,K5 eating Fords everyday

3. Adjusted timing and it now runs pretty good but not like it should I think I will change the plugs cap and rotor this weekend but it least it will run decently now. Thanks

Larry86K5

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

WHen I picked up my Blazer 6 years ago it was doing the same thing. I took it to tune-up shop ,and the guy ran a test on it, and said the computer was shot. Replaced the computer, and it runs peeerrrrfect! It has been fine since the day I replaced it. My Blazer is a 84k5

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!