Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Backhoe/Payloader ponderance...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Dec 15, 2004.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have to dig a drywell, trenches along the foundation, a large hole next to the foundation, dig out an old drywell, and move 20 yards of topsoil. I also have to dig out 2 stumps (1 right above a water main), and if I get time with the machine, I'd want to dig yet another drywell way in the back yard.

I was going to rent an Allmand at the suggestion of a rental place guy. Another rental place just suggested I use a WB140, which is $125 rate more for the day, but seems like overkill.

The Allmand can dig 9ft, and has a lift capacity of around 1000lbs. I think I'll need more lift cap for the concrete drywell rings, but I really don't know. 9ft should be deep enough, the one I'm digging out was 8ft, but we installed it wrong originally, I think it was draining ok. The Allmand can move the soil probably just as good as anything. I dunno how it will do with stumps, with the lower lift cap, I'd bet it's a lot less powerful.

The WB140 can dig over 12 ft, and can lift around 2900lbs. The drywell's should be a cakewalk for it. Moving the 20 yards should also be pretty easy for it. The stumps shouldn't be too hard either.

Here's the Almand:
    [​IMG]

Here's the WB140:
    [​IMG]

So basically, it looks like the allmand can do the work, the WB140 can smoke the work.

I can get an allmand for around $320 for a day, the WB140 works out to a little under $600 for a day.

Ah nevermind, I think I just figured it out, I'm going with the allmand. But man that WB140 is HOT!!
    I hope it's joystick controlled...I hated the levers when I drove a payloader years ago.

Anyone have any constructive input (no pun intended)?

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i used to work for komatsu equipment, and you're right the WBs are nice. never even seen an allmand in my life... now i work for john deere heavy equipment and i personally like the deere backhoes more. ours are more powerful. the komatsu ones are just more comfy inside.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Make sure you do soemthing rediculous and hilarious with it while you have it

4. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

like pull up an 18 inch sewer line??:eek1:

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Well get the Almand for 320 a day, then if you need the extra depth or capability, get the WB for alot shorter time at 600.

6. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

As much as I'd love to, that's totally out. The biggest expense is transport. Niether can be street driven, and the place with the WB140 wants $140 each way for delivery (WB140...$140...Coincidence?). Ironically, they're only a mile from me, the place that wants $80 each way for the Allmand is 15 miles from me...
    I dunno what numbers I was thinking before, but it'll actually work out to almost $700 for the heavier machine. I'm chewing my knuckles at dropping almost $400 on this project, $700 will have me in panic mode. I picked the wrong season for this stuff...

One place had the allmand for $160 a day, but I had to transport it, and they were 15 miles away, too. I don't have a vehicle or trailer that can tow these machines (wb140 is delivery only anyway, it's 16,000lbs). $160 would've so totally rocked dude...!

Muddysub, the John Deere equipment is pretty nice. :thumbsup: