Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Backing boat trailer uphill

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by dontoe, Jul 4, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

When my friend backs his boat trailer uphill, the surge brake (I think it's called) engages his trailer brakes. He has to get out and turn 'em off/select manual. Anyway, he has a new Chevy P/U so I thought I'd ask y'all for help.

2. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

How steep is the hill? He may have have to tighten up the snubber,or adjust whatever he has to control the ammount of force it takes to activate them. We could back ours up small to mild hills pretty easily, but on steep ones we still had trouble, even when set where it was supposed to be. So we drilled another hole in the coupler where it slides to push the piston back, and if the hill we had to back up was to steep, we could stick a trailer pin in it and it would lock the brakes in the dissengaged position. Worked really well, and is hard to describe without pictures.

3. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

What joe said. Check aroudn the coupler, there may be some sort of a lockout, or a place you could cram somethign to keep it from sliding and engaging the brakes.

But wihtout knowing what coupler or type of trailer, i can't say much more.

If its a new trailer with electronic lockout, let me know and ill tell you how to activate it/wire it.

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'll ask/tell him, he's on vacation right now. Thank's.

5. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've seen a surge brake setup with a solonoid wired to the backup lights so that when you are in reverse the brakes are locked out.