Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

backing soda

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greywolf, Aug 27, 2005.

1. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

for blasting paint and undercoating off. where can i get it?i dont want use sand to harsh.
    thanks in advance.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

soda!!

You can buy small quantities at any supermarket--as for big bulk bags of it,I dont know where to tell you to try.(maybe a warehouse store like "Sam's Club"??)--..maybe a place that sells farm supplies or grain maybe??---or a place that sells fertilizer or other bulk chemicals??--somone must sell large quantities,they have huge soda mines in the midwest..Maybe call and ask a bakery,or resturaunt where they buy large quantities--they must use tons of it!..

I used beach sand from a fresh water lake shore for sandblasting--or I buy the "playground" sand at Home Depot,etc..I even used a bag of portland cement one time when nothing else was handy!--it was too fine and made tons of dust,and the lime burned my insides!..wont use that again!--I've even swept sand off the street in front of my house and sifted it with old window screens,and let it dry--it actually worked just as good as "store bought" stuff..anything in a "pinch"... :crazy:

3. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Our shop just bought a pallet of Coal Dust for sandblasting a trailer before we paint it. I think it was only $280 for a pallet of 48 bags (I think if I rememebr right) and each bag is 80 lbs.