Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

backlash on a 14bff??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RodeoRob, Feb 23, 2002.

1. RodeoRob

RodeoRob Registered Member

On my new Precision 5.13 gears i recieved for my 14 bolt FF, the backlash indicated on the ring gear is 0.08" ? This seems a little odd to me (though I'm not an expereinced gear installer), as my D44 only has 0.008" backlash? 0.08 seems like a lot of backlash. Anybody agree or disagree? could my ring gear be mislabled? or do 14b's really have that much backlash?

Thanks
    -Rob

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.apptechnc.net/~gorrellrw/rodeo>1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo</a>

2. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

If I remember correctly .005"-.008" is the specs. I set mine at .005". W/ the Detriot it feels like .010"-.012".
    Hope this helps. Ed

I'm not tail gating. I'm DRAFTING.

3. RodeoRob

RodeoRob Registered Member

Ok. thats what i though. Looks like 0.08" is a misprint on Precisions part.

-Rob

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.apptechnc.net/~gorrellrw/rodeo>1995.5 Isuzu Rodeo</a>

4. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

As a general rule of thumb it is .001 per 1 inch of ring gear max.
    So on a 14FF the max could be .010
    I was talking to my Snap-on dealer who used to work in a 4x4 shop doing gear work, he said that around .008 is the norm on a FF and with new gears and a Detroit you would want it at around .005
    It also depends on how the pattern looks as well.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Backlash is the amount of distance betwwen the two gears' matting surfaces. This space is there to allow the gear lube to get between them adn cool the gears. Im no gear professional either, but if general mecahnical knowledge serves me correctly, the amount of backlash should not change because its FF or its a bigger gear. Its the space available to provide enuff room for the gear lube to get in there. Obviously the larger the diameter the ring gear the more the space is going to increase base of the the idea that you swapped out a smaller gear for a larger one and left the adjusters at the same settings as with the smaller gear.
    So if you take my advise I'd stay with what the gear has stamped on it to retain your warranty.

Its the popping, rumbling, roaring, twisting, flexing, grinding, so you can wheel anywhere medicine[​IMG]