Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

BACKPACKERS!!! who wears orange now in fear of hunters, I DON'T!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 88jimmyoungowner, Dec 22, 2002.

1. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

BACKPACKERS!!! who wears orange now in fear of hunters, I DON\'T!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok, i went backpacking for the first time since rachael furgeson was shot that weekend on the AT. in every group i sawe on the trail, at least one person was wearing orange. i was personally on that trip, so i feel that everyone is overblown about the whole situation. it was a freak accident, and will not happen agian for a while. if our group had been in any other camp site, then it would not have happened. if she had not gotten up then, it would not have happened. i perwsonaly am not scared top not wear orange or stuff like that. i am not afraid of hunters. our crew advisor bought each member of the crew a orange vest to wear on our trips from now on. i think this is ridicullus, and i will not wear the vest on my trips with my crew. what do you all feel about it?

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: BACKPACKERS!!! who wears orange now in fear of hunters, I DON\'T!!!!!!!!

Well since I know nothing of the incident, you could provide a link to the story, and can you post a little more legible, your post is a hard read.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: BACKPACKERS!!! who wears orange now in fear of hunters, I DON\'T!!!!!!!!!!!!

So someone got shot by a hunter by accident I'm assuming...I'd wear orange, why not? Is being fashionable while backpacking a priority? You don't have anything else that goes with orange? Why not wear fur and antlers???

Rene

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Re: BACKPACKERS!!! who wears orange now in fear of hunters, I DON\'T!!!!!!!!!!!!

i don't wear orange out there.

5. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

khaki and white, those are the only two "colours" i wear.

6. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Wearing orange seems to be something that should be common knowledge. I'm sure if the hunter had seen orange he wouldn't have shot ms. Racheal whatsherface... Whenever I go out in the woods (especially during hunting season) I'm always sure to wear orange or any other un-natural color... Otherwise I might as well stand in front of the target at a shooting range with a bullseye on my forehead...

Besides, what about the hunter? How do you think he or she would feel if they shot you and realized it wasn't a deer they were shooting at? I'm sure they all would appreciate you wearing something that doesn't make you look like their dinner...

For your own good, maybe you should forget about looking pretty for all the squirrels and think about safety... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If its not hunting season I dont worry about it. If it is hunting season watch out! Utah moves up here for the month and people get shot at all the time. Not saying its people from Utah but you end up with a lot of people that have driven long ways and only have a few days to shoot something. So they get deer vision and shoot at anything. On the whole, people that are up in the mountains during hunting season and are not wearing orange, are considered idiots and vain about their looks and therefore, edible.

8. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Seems to me that anyone who feels they are grown up enough to own a gun and go hunting ought to be able to tell the difference between a human and a deer, bear, moose or what ever. If they are that stupid I think I'll stay away from the mountains during hunting season! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif If you wear orange in East LA you will be shot for sure by a gang... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Why not wear fur and antlers?

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What's the story behind this??
    If it was a politically correct thing, I'd agree, resist! But this is a common sense thing... If hikers and backpackers don't need to wear orange, why should other hunters?

10. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

Landsmasher, by your reasoning, I could also assume that everyone who drove a car should also be perfect drivers. As we all know, this is not the case. In Texas, if you're hunting on public(state) land, you have to wear a certain amount of orange, I think that the same rules should apply to anyone else who is in the woods during hunting season. Personally, I don't set food in the national forests during hunting season, I don't trust people that much. We often ride our four wheelers in the forests, but when deer season rolls around, we stay away! There are a lot of hunters who come up from the bigger cities to hunt, and yes, they will shoot just about anything that moves. My stupid neighbor moved up from Houston last year, and told me that when he hears noises outside, he goes out and starts shooting at them! DUH, you live in the fawkin' woods, you're gonna hear noises. I also informed him that I live a few hundred yards away, and if any bullets make it to my house, I'm gonna start returning fire with my 30.06. I'm not gonna say that they actually make everyone wear orange, but if it was me, I'd be wearing so much day glow orange that you'd think the Great Pumpkin was visiting!

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

In perfect conditions I would agree. But It can be rainy or foggy or in most cases people are stupid and will shoot at anything. I try to hunt as responsible as I can but I cant say anything about the guy on the next ridge. Its the same theory as a seatbelt. You might be a NASCAAR driver but the person who slams into you is a retard. Same with hunting. I would think on the whole most hunters are responsible and you would not have anything to worry about. Wearing the vest to me is like putting on that orange flag when you drive in the dunes. Just part of the deal.

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I've been doing a lot of reading and learning book-knowledge about hunting right now (hoping to get out this season!), and everything I've read says not to put your finger near the trigger until you know exactly what it is that you're going to shoot. So in that regard, I can agree with your point of view.

However, knowing that people are dumb and dumb people are allowed to live out of thier cages, I would assume the worst in everyone, and assume the next guy hunting didn't learn how to hunt, just bought a gun and went out shooting stuff...

13. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

I don't think orange is a bad idea. Especially during hunting season. What if they were firing 20 yrds passed a hiker and didn't know that there was one in between? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I don't know what the story is but I hope no one died!

I really want to start backpacking too. I just don't have $$ for all that gear. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

14. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

wear orange. in fact it should be against the law to not wear it if your in the field during an open season.... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Here is the Rachel Furgeson story

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    i feel that everyone is overblown about the whole situation

[/ QUOTE ]
    Tell that to this girl's family and the family of the 21-year old kid who is now facing felony charges /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

16. tRustyK5

My thoughts exactly. Then again I'm not 16 and I have two daughters of my own so I'm sure my perspective is different. Wear orange...and if you're hunting make sure you KNOW what you're shooting at!

rene

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Rene, you can't wear orange. it doesn't match your purse /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

but don't feel bad, orange isn't my color either /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I did get Rita a shirt that was bright orange with the word "FAKE?" across the bust. does that count?

18. tRustyK5

Aw c'mon zakk...you know I have an orange purse for hunting season! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

<font color="orange">"FAKE?" </font color>

Brave man...did she get you some matching undies? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

19. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I've been hiking the Sierras for over 20 years now and have yet to even run across a hunter. I have guns but don't hunt. (they are in the police impound right now. another story) The thing that comes to my mind is that I never even thought about hunters till this post was put up. So what about all the poor suckers that don't even think about stupid people out there with guns? I carry a 357 mag in case I run across a bear and hope it is enough to take care of a situation like that. But dang, I guess I better start wearing orange also in case I run across a stupid human /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

lol

nah, the fake was in blue. It was pretty funny. She wore it a few times but when one guy commented that he needed a feel test, that was the end of that. some jackass always ruins the fun for everyone.