Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Backspacing between SRW and DRW axles

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Aug 19, 2003.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

How much backspacing is necessary to clear the D60's in both SRW and DRW without doing any grinding on the calipers or mounts?

I'm asking so I can check into using aluminum Weld Racing wheels of 15" onto a DRW front and want to set it back far enough to where grinding won't be nessary. This way I can tuck the tire back into the fender slightly but still have a wide stance.

Does this make sense? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hmmm, let's see here... The DRW axle is 4" wider on each side, and I would think that you could run 2" of BS on an aluminum wheel on a SRW 60, so I'd guess that you'd be good to go with 6" of BS on a 15" wheel on a CRW axle. It's gonna be wiiiide and will probably rub like crazy when you turn the wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif</font>

3. thatK30guy

So with a 2" on a SRW, it will clear the calipers without grinding? Sounds like a plan in the works soon.

I've already thought about the stance situation. Siknce I don't deal with rocks in KS, don't have to worry about that. It's all mud here. That wide stance should give some more stability.

I've got planned to use a D60 and 70 dually axles and 15" Weld Racking SR-series wheels on 44" tires.
    What I'm tryhing to decide to install them udner is something ike the White Knight...tubed chassis, etc. etc. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'm just guessing on the 2" BS thing, I know that with steel wheels you can go 2.5" with no grinding, and it doesn't seem like an aluminum wheel would be more than 1/2" thicker than steel, so it seems like a good number to start with. I don't think I've ever even seen an aluminum 15" 8 lug wheel though, so I'm not sure if anyone will know this for sure. </font>

5. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    I've ever even seen an aluminum 15" 8 lug wheel

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to the Weld Racing Wheel site and check out their SR-series wheels. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif