Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Backspacing for a Dana 60 & 14B FF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyCaGal, Jul 31, 2002.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I need some backspacing help for a Dana 60 and 14B FF. I'm not sure what to look for in rims to fit these axles? I am either going to get a 16 inch rim or a 15 inch rim and then grind the caliper. So how much backspacing do I need so rims will fit these axles? Thanks.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> 16" rims will fit with whatever you want, up to like 4.25 or so. With 15s you can go anywhere from 2.5"(no grinding, well, maybe a tiny bit) to 4.25(Buy a few new grinding wheels and set aside a day). 3-3.5" seems to be a good compromise. </font color>

3. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If you decide to go the 15" route, this might help a little...

Giving up on the 1/2 ton build up? Sounds like you've already got the axles, guess I missed that, I've not been on too much lately...

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I'm gonna try to get to the point of running spots in the Rubicon on the rocks. When I was considering 35's it was cool with 3/4 ton, but I wanna go with 38's and wanted 4.56 gearing instead... changing out the gears wasn't worth the cost to me, and like I said size wise that's pushing it to be on rocks... I don't have em yet, but plan too soon...

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I recall someone posting that the factory backspacing was only around 3.75", I never confirmed that so wieght it as total heresay.
    the correct BackSpacing depends on your tire diameter.
    a taller tire would require less backspacing then a shorter one, the object being to get the scrub radius low as possible.
    draw a line from th upper balljoint through the lower ball joint and the point where that line hits ground would ideally be the centre of the tire contact patch

6. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status